Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Steeping Grains

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2012, 11:44 PM   #1
johnsonbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Steeping Grains

If I steep my grains say up to 60 minutes instead of 30 or 45 will there be more sugar extracted or is most the sugar out of the grains by the 30 minute mark. I want to try to up the ABV of my next batch, but I don't want to add sugars to sweeten it. I dont have time to get the LHBS so I was wondering if there is a simple way that does not really change the flavor of the beer but gives it more ABV.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 12:00 AM   #2
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I don't think more time is going to matter, assuming you're not actually talking about mashing a base grain. You aren't looking for starch conversion with steeped grains. Any sugar from them is already available and is going to come out pretty quickly.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 06-29-2012, 12:03 AM   #3
Krazykripple
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

if you just want to up the ABV you could use corn sugar or cane sugar. simple sugars like those do make your beer taste drier and a bit thinner though

Old 06-29-2012, 12:07 AM   #4
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonbrew View Post
I want to try to up the ABV of my next batch, but I don't want to add sugars to sweeten it.
I'm not clear on this statement. Adding sugar to your boil, fermentation, etc. will not sweeten your beer. It will dry it out, as Krazykripple noted.

You could also use something like honey. The best option, but would require a trip to the LHBS, is to add more base grain or extract.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 06-29-2012, 12:08 AM   #5
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 417

Yeah, its my understanding that for us guys doing extract with grains, the grains add subtle flavor and mouth feel more than sugar. Our sugars come from the DME or LME, or brown sugar, cane sugar, honey, or any other type of sugar you pour in the pot.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:38 AM   #6
johnsonbrew
Recipes 

So in a 5 gallon batch how much sugar should I be adding cups or pounds?

Old 06-29-2012, 01:45 AM   #7
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Depends on what you are wanting to do, and how much you want to dry it out. By doing so, you'll want to up your hop schedule as well, as it will finish dry, sweeter, thinner and the hops will be in the background depending on what your are brewing.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:08 AM   #8
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 417

Yeah, thats a tricky question. There is really no set amount. Look up and follow some tried and true recipes from this forum and you will begin to get a feel for what quantities of each ingredient make for a decent beer. I would also recommend focusing on quality and not just a lot of sugar for high ABV. There is plenty of cheap crappy booze that will do that for a lot less money.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:33 AM   #9
Trophy_Brew21
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
I don't think more time is going to matter, assuming you're not actually talking about mashing a base grain. You aren't looking for starch conversion with steeped grains. Any sugar from them is already available and is going to come out pretty quickly.
eeeerrrr! incorrect, lower temps at higher times will extract more vital sugars for higher ABV!

I Love Beer!

Old 06-29-2012, 04:44 AM   #10
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy_Brew21 View Post
eeeerrrr! incorrect, lower temps at higher times will extract more vital sugars for higher ABV!
Is this really going to make that much of a difference?!!?

Quick Reply