Steeped Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of developing a Witbier recipe, and I want to add some Oats. I haven't tried AG yet, and just want to stick with Extract and Steeped Grains for now. Anyway, I'm using StrangeBrew software, and it's telling me not to use Oats without dealing with mashing. Does that mean that I can't just steep the Oats? I'm pretty sure I've seen extract recipes that include Oats...

The extract recipes that I have that include oats are actually mashed. I put them in a separate pot and hold the temp for an hour before sparging. Be sure to use enough water with the oats (2 quarts per lb.) which will aid in sparging.

Good luck,
Wild

that's my question... i've seen oats listed as an ingredient in extract recipies. i don't know how that's possible if they need to be mashed.

Well, a mash is kind of like a steep, so if you put the oats in with some grain, and hold it at 150 degrees for 45 minutes, that's a mash. It's confusing, I know!

Could you post the recipe you're thinking of, and we'll see how it looks. It'll be alot easier to do that, rather than giving you general advice that might be wrong! We can see exactly what you'd need to do.

hmm... well here it is:

3.3# Bavarian Wheat LME (65% wheat, 35% pils)
3# Pilsen Light DME
4# Wheat Malt
0.5# Flaked Oats

1 oz Bramling Cross 60min
0.5oz Saaz 20min
0.5oz Saaz 10min

1 tsp Irish Moss 15min
1 oz Orange Peel 10min
1 oz Coriander 10min

WLP400 Belgian Wit Ale Yeast

OG: 1.074
FG: 1.019
ABV: 7.34%
IBU: 24.9
Color: 4.5

So I guess my question about steeping the oats also applies to the wheat malt. While we're at it, any other advice or comments on the recipe would be helpful. I'm shooting for something like a Witbock.

Last, I was wondering if someone could highlight the pros/cons of using WLP400 as opposed to WLP410, WLP500, and WLP550. Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help!

Back