Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > starting my research

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2006, 05:21 AM   #1
shady oaks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default starting my research

first of all, hello, as i am new here. hopefully i'll be able to obtain as much info as possible here. with that said, i'm here to start my research on brewing my own beer. really have no idea what i'm getting into, other than a great hobby that everyone i've talked to say is great. i've looked on homebrewing.com for kits, but any suggestions would be great. i plan on reading several books, but haven't got any yet. as far as tastes, i typically like anything but beers like blue moon, which i believe is a wheat beer. anyone familiar with bell's beer out of michigan, they have a lot of beers i love. i'll post more later, don't want this to get to long. thanks for any help and am looking forward to getting to know many of you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2006, 05:40 AM   #2
dheide
Recipes 

I just starting brewing myself (first batch finished just the other day). My wife got me a Mr. Beer set for Christmas, and it's worked good for me so far. They're cheap (my set was about $50) and easy to use (step-by-step instructions in plain english). You could start out with something small like that to see if this is something you wanna do for a while then upgrade if you want. That's one beginner's recommendation.

Dave

Old 01-24-2006, 05:44 AM   #3
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Welcome to the addiction. I too just started doing home brewing and I would suggest that you do some research on the forum here and then visit a local home brew shop in your area to get supplies. I think its great to have a local relationship if it is possible. A lot of us start with a plastic brew bucket ,a glass carboy for fermentation plus you are going to need a large brew pot. There are some other necessities so ask questions that is what the pros are here for. Me excluded in that bunch. I've learned a lot just reading this forum.

Old 01-24-2006, 06:00 AM   #4
Genghis77

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd recommend the two brew bucket kits and maybe a carboy, a 5 gallon brewpot. Stick with all extract kits for about the first 5 brews. Then expand into steeped grain kits. After a while of that you might decide to go on to all grain. But many people (like myself) just stay with the extract with steeped grains, because of space, time and sometimes equipment cost (though the cost reduction is a good part of the reasoning to go to all grain)

Old 01-24-2006, 06:06 AM   #5
timdsmith72
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Yeah. What Genghis77 said. I'm sticking with extract + steeped grains because of time constraints. I just don't have the time normally put into an all grain batch.
Also, if you're looking for some good reading, you can't go wrong with this:

http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html
OH! And welcome!

Old 01-24-2006, 07:19 AM   #6
shady oaks
Recipes 

thanks everyone. from the sounds of it, i have found a good place to look for info and advice. like i said, i plan on researching before i start. hoping that in about 4 weeks to be able to get everything and give it a whirl.

Quick Reply