Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Starting my first ghetto rigged batch!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2006, 05:36 AM   #1
xunedeinx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Starting my first ghetto rigged batch!

Heres what i started with. The apple cider was some i had in a fridge that started smelling alcoholic. also gave me the idea to make my own!

Which i made into this...

The open cup was jus to see if the yeast took to the apple juice...
i read somewhere that even though it isnt listed, some perservatives are put in juices...

ideas or suggestions? Them bottles are bubbling away!

Oh ya, about 25-30 sugar cubes per 1/2 gallon bottle, same for the apple cider, and 2 packets of 1/4g yeast per bottle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2006, 05:57 AM   #2
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

Looks like you have some hooch there. I won't ask what it might end up tasting like. The ghetto setup might work, but the ingredients leave much to be desired. The apple juice can have preservatives and corn syrup in them. Next time use the unfiltered apple juice you can find in specialty stores, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's etc. and nix the sugar. Then use a cider yeast, or at least a brewing yeast.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 10-23-2006, 06:15 AM   #3
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 631 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 58

This looks like the kind of stuff they do in prison. However, welcome to the homebrewing party! EdWort has a good recipe for Apfelwein using Tree Top apple juice.

Quick Reply