Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Starting a little more advanced

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
robbdmc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 12

Default Starting a little more advanced

Just starting out, but I want to build a system that I can grow with. Maybe start a nano brewery down the road.

I'm sure not everything will be transferable to a nano, but I'd rather spend $500 now, then throw $200 of startup kit stuff out.

What brewing and kegging systems/setups would you guys recommend?

Right now ease and efficiency are bigger concerns than output volume.

Thanks!

P.S. This is goin in the garage.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

There is a huge range when you use the Nano tag. Could be anything from a 10gal batch to well over a 100. It would be a little tough brewing a 5 or 10 gal batch in a system set up for a 120 max..........

Old 01-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
robbdmc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501irishred View Post
There is a huge range when you use the Nano tag. Could be anything from a 10gal batch to well over a 100. It would be a little tough brewing a 5 or 10 gal batch in a system set up for a 120 max..........
Well lets just say as efficient as possible, but small. I want a setup that is more sophisticated than a starter kit, but not as big and expensive as a brew master by sabco.

I know it's still a big range, but just looking for suggestions if you were to start now.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
robbdmc
Recipes 

Maybe it would be better to ask what the sweetest setup for sub $500 would be.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

A three keggle system would be a good place to start. It would be your choice how far you would like to go now (pumps/# of burners / automation, etc) or what you would upgrade later. 15 gal keggles would allow as much upgrade room as possible without going too extreme up front.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #6
robbdmc
Recipes 

Quote:
A three keggle system would be a good place to start. It would be your choice how far you would like to go now (pumps/# of burners / automation, etc) or what you would upgrade later. 15 gal keggles would allow as much upgrade room as possible without going too extreme up front.
That's what I'm thinkin.

Any links to some specific setups or equipment you would recommend?

Old 01-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #7
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

If you're a DIY kind of guy, definitely possible for sub 500.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #8
Barnesie
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Personally, it's much easier to divide everything by an over/under on $1500. My general feeling is that $1500 is about the rock bottom price for a reliable and easy to use grain-to-tap system. If you're not willing to spend at least $1500, then you're looking at cutting corners and doing a lot of DIY compromises. Doesn't mean you can't make great beer, just that you might be doing it with sub-optimal pieces and/or it could take a lot more labor and time.

The variety and range of those compromises is completely huge and spans this whole forum.

The problem is that your question is so incredibly vague that no one will really be able to give suitable advice to you. What does "just starting out" mean?

Bottles: none
Keg: Junkyard IPA, Alagash Belgian Tripel clone

Beware: Everyone is an expert on the internet.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #9
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnesie View Post
Personally, it's much easier to divide everything by an over/under on $1500. My general feeling is that $1500 is about the rock bottom price for a reliable and easy to use grain-to-tap system. If you're not willing to spend at least $1500, then you're looking at cutting corners and doing a lot of DIY compromises. Doesn't mean you can't make great beer, just that you might be doing it with sub-optimal pieces and/or it could take a lot more labor and time.

The variety and range of those compromises is completely huge and spans this whole forum.

The problem is that your question is so incredibly vague that no one will really be able to give suitable advice to you. What does "just starting out" mean?
True enough, but that doesn't mean you can't begin with less than an ideal system that has the potential of being upgraded without "backtracking" on previous purchases. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I think that's what the OP is trying to avoid, and I commend him for think ahead (wish I had).

Old 01-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #10
Barnesie
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
True enough, but that doesn't mean you can't begin with less than an ideal system that has the potential of being upgraded without "backtracking" on previous purchases. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I think that's what the OP is trying to avoid, and I commend him for think ahead (wish I had).
I completely agree, but the difficult part is knowing where to spend your money so that your compromises suit you. Without knowing what type of brewer he is, it's hard to give that advice. It's also obvious that many tools of brewing are "optional" enhancements that are highly personal choices.

Some compromises will have to be "Backtracked" as you say, there's just no way around it. You can't make a pot bigger and you can't turn a cooler into a direct fire vessel.

That being said, we are in a time where there are three legitimate methods of making beer - extract, BIAB and traditional mash. They each have different equipment requirements but they each can grow into another method. If a person is "just starting out" with extract, they're in a different place then if they're "just starting out" with BIAB or full-mash.

More info is needed.
Bottles: none
Keg: Junkyard IPA, Alagash Belgian Tripel clone

Beware: Everyone is an expert on the internet.

Quick Reply