New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Starting a Lager warm?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2008, 11:23 PM   #1
Cpt_Kirks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts

Default Starting a Lager warm?

The directions for my lager kit say to let the primary sit at 70* for 12 to 36 hours, until obvious fermentation begins, then moving it into a cooler area, from 48 to 55*.

I don't recall ever reading that before. This is a Dos Equis Amber Lager clone kit, with Saflager S23 dry yeast. I will be fermenting in a fridge, so I can chill it however it needs.

I am planning on two weeks in the primary, two weeks in the secondary, then about three weeks of lagering in the keg. Hope to be drinking it by Christmas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2008, 11:28 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

They recommend that because it's only a single packet of yeast. I like to pitch at ferment temps but I use a large starter or 2 packs of S23 to make sure it gets a good start. If you want the beer to be drinkable earlier, I'd still go with pitching at under 60F because you don't want ale-like esters.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 11-04-2008, 11:30 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

This is one of the two common approaches. The other is a massive starter & pitching cold. When I've used Saflager S23, I've pitched warm and started cooling after 12 hours. I don't wait for fermentation to start (although it almost always has), so I guess it is actually a third method.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-04-2008, 11:32 PM   #4
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
They recommend that because it's only a single packet of yeast. I like to pitch at ferment temps but I use a large starter or 2 packs of S23 to make sure it gets a good start. If you want the beer to be drinkable earlier, I'd still go with pitching at under 60F because you don't want ale-like esters.
I'm planning to let it warm up a bit between primary and secondary to give it a diacetyl rest.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:38 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3864 Times on 2824 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
I'm planning to let it warm up a bit between primary and secondary to give it a diacetyl rest.
Yes, that would probably be necessary.

I'm in the pitch cold camp. I use enough yeast and pitch at fermentation temperature. I also do this with ales. For example, when I make an ale, I don't pitch at 85 degrees and then turn it down to 65 after 24 hours- I pitch it at 65 degrees.

When I make a lager, I pitch at 48 degrees or so. I bring my yeast up to 48 degrees (and I've decanted the spent wort from the starter) and pitch it into 50 degree wort.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:43 PM   #6
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post

When I make a lager, I pitch at 48 degrees or so. I bring my yeast up to 48 degrees (and I've decanted the spent wort from the starter) and pitch it into 50 degree wort.
Is 48 a little chilly? According to the docs, 48 is the bottom temperature for S23.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:43 PM   #7
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Yes, that would probably be necessary.

I'm in the pitch cold camp. I use enough yeast and pitch at fermentation temperature. I also do this with ales. For example, when I make an ale, I don't pitch at 85 degrees and then turn it down to 65 after 24 hours- I pitch it at 65 degrees.

This is the method I've been using as well and I've not had to do a diacetyl rest on any of my lagers so far.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 11-04-2008, 11:54 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3864 Times on 2824 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
Is 48 a little chilly? According to the docs, 48 is the bottom temperature for S23.
But I'm talking about pitching a larger amount of yeast- not one package of S23- and pitching it into slightly warmer wort. Not enough to shock the yeast, of course, but slightly warmer wort seems to really kick start the yeast. 48 might be the bottom temperature, but it's not out of the range and I'd ferment it at 50 degrees.

(My understanding that S23 is a "fruity" lager yeast so I'm not likely to use it- probably listen to David_42 instead of me anyway!)

Old 11-05-2008, 11:49 AM   #9
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I used S-23 once, I double pitched at 50*F and fermented at 50*F. It was clean but it produced a whopping amount of diacetyl. Be sure to give it a nice long D-rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 11-05-2008, 02:16 PM   #10
TeleTwanger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

+3 on pitching plenty of yeast at fermentation temps and D rest.

Up next: The Bestist Bitter
Bottled: Blackout IPA

"Ooo Pretzels and Bier!"-Heidi Klum

Quick Reply