Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Starting to get bottle bombs. What should I do?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2012, 05:32 PM   #21
KevinW
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sorry to hear about the "bombs", not too sure what to do other than what has been mentioned however I am wondering how you wound up with the "bombs" in the first place. If it was uneven mixing then you may only wind up with a few over carbonated beers and a bunch of undercarbonated beers!

Without knowing your process, did you batch prime your beer or add some sugar to each bottle? Weighing the priming sugar is always best (if possible), 3oz is always 3oz where 3/4 cup can vary greatly in volume by the size of the sugar granule. (think pound of feathers - pound of lead)

If batch priming you need to be sure and (gently) stir the beer for a couple of minutes to ensure thorough mixing.

Another thought is how accurate are your volumes? I have fairly innacurate methods to measure my volumes until I bottle so I do not know how much sugar to add until I get my beer into the bottling bucket.

Just a couple of thoughts, good luck!

“I don't drink beer all the time but I can drink (a) beer anytime" - Me

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 09:00 PM   #22
Tiredboy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion of cooling them first. I'll drop the temp tonight. Will cycling the other beers in the freezer diown to 40 for a few days then back to high 60s (may not go as high this time) be a problem?

As for the process, I boiled sugar cystals and water as instructed, poured into bottling bucket (after it had cooled a bit) then racked beer on top so that it mixed as the beer flowed in.

Good point about the volumes, there may have been some loss at at the transfer from primary to secondary and from secondary to bottling bucket so the proportion of priming solution may end up being higher than if I'd managed to transfer all 5 gallons into bottling bucket. I hadn't thought about that before.

As for the video, if I had the equipment the geek in me would do it!

On a positive note, the bottle bombs may help put my case for a kegging setup!!! It also means I have an excuse to sample one "in the interests of science" tonight! I wonder how conditioned it will be after 10 days.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #23
Tiredboy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

UPDATE - I dropped the temperature to 40 and after a few hours opened a bottle. Got an encouraging hiss and no fountain. Poured with a BIG head and many tiny bubbles (tasted tingly on the tongue). Now I'm not sure whether opening and recapping them all will cause it to be too flat!!

Old 06-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #24
bnuno11
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Any updates on how they turned out?

Old 06-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #25
Tiredboy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ended up leaving them in the mid 40s (so a short bottle conditioning time). Ended up losing a total of two bottles. The rest are fantastic.

Quick Reply