Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > <----Starting All Grainer - wants simple recipes!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2010, 11:45 PM   #1
StarCityBrewMaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default <----Starting All Grainer - wants simple recipes!

Looking for some of your favorite all grain recipe's that aren't loaded with goods. Kind of like those books: 100 meals you can cook with 5 ingredients or less.

Real simple but REALLY good beers that I can kick off my all grain process with.

Secondary 1: Air
Secondary 2: Air

Bottled: Edworts IPA, Nierra Sevada, Stork Blue Celebration Ale
On Deck: Maroon Effect Amber, Blonde, IPA, APA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2010, 12:41 AM   #2
billvon
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Try Smashing Blonde (search for it here.) Very simple all grain single malt-single hop recipe. 11# two-row malt, 2 oz German Tradition hops, that's it. Made it last night.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:43 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4913 Times on 3563 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Most AG recipes are ultra simple. You can do any recipe you want, besides some step mashes, or decoctions. I'd say that at least 85% of the recipes in our database (maybe more) would meet your requirements.

What kind of beer do you want to make? What's your favorite style? From a cream ale to an oatmeal stout, you could do anything you want.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 03-11-2010, 01:05 AM   #4
StarCityBrewMaster
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That makes me feel even more excited about AG brewing Yooper! I do realize that once I get a few brews under my belt and really understand the process and then also make beersmith my new best friend that all of it is fairly simple.

As for favorite styles I really don't know because I haven't experimented enough yet. Off the top of my head I like Bass, Newcastle, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Magic Hat 9, Blue Moon, Fat Tire, Anchor Steam, Victory Hop Devil to name a few.

Secondary 1: Air
Secondary 2: Air

Bottled: Edworts IPA, Nierra Sevada, Stork Blue Celebration Ale
On Deck: Maroon Effect Amber, Blonde, IPA, APA

Old 03-11-2010, 01:19 AM   #5
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

easy = any recipe that you can batch sparge. Don't be afraid of recipes with multiple specialty grains, or things in the boil phase that you have done before. All adding specialty grains does on a single infusion mash is add more variety of color and flavor.

I don't know all the terminology, but I only do recipes that involve dough-in, mash-out and sparge, and can do most recipes in Beer Captured or Clone Brews easily.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:22 AM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4913 Times on 3563 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarCityBrewMaster View Post
That makes me feel even more excited about AG brewing Yooper! I do realize that once I get a few brews under my belt and really understand the process and then also make beersmith my new best friend that all of it is fairly simple.

As for favorite styles I really don't know because I haven't experimented enough yet. Off the top of my head I like Bass, Newcastle, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Magic Hat 9, Blue Moon, Fat Tire, Anchor Steam, Victory Hop Devil to name a few.
Well, then, about about a SNPA clone? Or a Blue Moon clone? Or an Anchor Steam clone? You get the idea! You can do ANY of them. None of the beers you mentioned are step mashes, and all can be done with a single infusion mash.

I have a pretty good steam beer in my recipe drop down (two of them, actually- one is Jamil Zainasheff's and one is mine), and I know that Biermuncher has a good SNPA clone. Fat Tire has about a dozen clone recipes, and Newcastle isn't difficult at all.

Take a look at the recipe database, and think about what you want to be your first AG, and decide that way. None of those are any more difficult than the other. Some may have a few more grains than others, but that doesn't really matter since they all go in the mash together. You can either buy the grains individually, or have your brew store mix them all together for you.

If it's still a bit intimidating, you can order a kit from austinhomebrew.com, or brewmasterswarehouse.com (or a number of other stores) and it'll all be weighed and crushed for you. Any of the beer styles you mentioned are easily doable by an all-grain brewer.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 03-11-2010, 01:32 AM   #7
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

What really made my first all grain experience easy, was teaming up with a brew buddy. It was a first for both of us when we did an al grain. Neither of us had everything to complete an all grain brew, but together, we did, plus we had a partner to reply on our first few batches. Our first brew (Fullers London Porter) won 2nd place in our club's monthly competition, and is being re-entered as a brown porter, where we are advised will likley take first.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:55 AM   #8
pkeeler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

With your first, you might want to do something with some color. A brown ale or porter would be good. Not brewing at either end of the color spectrum takes a lot of the water/pH issues off the table for the most part. There are probably AG Newcastle Brown Ale recipes floating around the internet.

Old 03-11-2010, 02:01 AM   #9
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

For a nice simple Special Bitter, see http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f64/alan...78/#post802677
Replace the NZ Hallertauer with whatever is available (the recipe was posted during the hop shortage, and that was all I could get at that time). You could also replace the Willamette with Fuggles, or Goldings.
If you are going to bottle it, you will need some priming sugar, and your FG will probably be a bit higher than mine. (I had a really good starter)
If you use dry yeast, I would replace the WLP002 with S-04. If you want to go with liquid yeast and are bottling, I would recommend Wyeast 1028, 1098, or 1275, or White Labs 013 or 023. I'm sure there are many other suitable yeasts, but I've never tried them.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Tags
all grain, recipe, simple

Quick Reply