Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Starter Yeast Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2008, 01:38 AM   #11
nostalgia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcsum68 View Post
Thank you very much Kevin, I intend to do this with my Octoberfest, and want it to be great
Arcsum,

I just put together AHS's Oktoberfest kit 5 days ago. Here's how I went about it:

Tuesday: Boil 32oz of water, add 1cp extra-light DME, boil 15 minutes. Cool to 70F, put in sanitized container. Shake the heck out of it, pitch the yeast. Cover with tin foil, store at 65F.

Wednesday: Boil 32oz of water, add 1cp XL DME, boil 15 minutes. Cool to 70F, add to previous batch, shake the heck out of it. Cover with tin foil, store at 65F.

Thursday: Nuttin.

Friday: Boil 32oz of water, add 1cp XL DME, boil 15 minutes. Cool to 70F, add to previous batch, shake the heck out of it. Cover with tin foil, store at 65F.

Saturday: Just before bed, put starter in fridge.

Sunday: First thing in the morning take starter out of fridge, pour off most of the wort which is now separated on top of the yeast. Follow normal brewing routine, aerate wort and pitch starter.

Since I don't own a stirplate (yet), every few hours I was around I gave the starter a good swirl to get the yeast back in suspension.

The fermentation took off after a day at 50F and has been going *very* strong for the past 5 days. This morning there was a bubble in the blowoff every 1-2 seconds. You can see the thick kraeusen that developed in this pic at 34 hours.

Here's the starter on Wednesday:

Hope that helps!

-Joe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2008, 02:53 AM   #12
arcsum68
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yknow, I gotta say, this is the most helpful forum I have ever been on. Congrats. Seriously.

Usually you get harrased for not knowing everything when you start, or you just dont get an answer at all. I understand some questions are just plain stupid, but so far this has just been a pleasure and I feel like i COULD ask a stupid question if I had a brain fart without getting flamed.

Glad to be a part of it and hope to contribute to it when I know something.

Sorry if I am rambling on, I have had a few this evening.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:02 PM   #13
findthefish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcsum68 View Post
Yknow, I gotta say, this is the most helpful forum I have ever been on. Congrats. Seriously.

Usually you get harrased for not knowing everything when you start, or you just dont get an answer at all. I understand some questions are just plain stupid, but so far this has just been a pleasure and I feel like i COULD ask a stupid question if I had a brain fart without getting flamed.

Glad to be a part of it and hope to contribute to it when I know something.

Sorry if I am rambling on, I have had a few this evening.
We are here to help, and make brewing easy and fun for everyone. Not act like we know everything.

Kevin

The Bruery Provisions - Homebrewing supplies and equipment.
BrewCommune - Orange County home brew club, yeast database, recipes, and forum.

On Deck: Belgian IPA
Primary: nothing
Secondary: Traditional Mead
Kegged: APA, Cream Ale, Belgian Ale, Sour Belgian, Barrel Aged RIS

Quick Reply