Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Starter Yeast Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2008, 09:36 PM   #1
arcsum68
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Starter Yeast Question

Ok, so my first ale is currently in the secondary fermenter and reading what I have on this forum I just hope it doesnt taste bad. My advisor may have given me some misleading information, but his has always tasted ok, so I hope it turns out.

Im gonna do a Kolsh next and then go for an Octoberfest beer, and keep reading about making a starter yeast.

Question is, can you make a starter yeast with dry yeast? All the examples I see are using liquid. Then I read somewhere else that you just pull some of the boiling wort out, cool it, add the dry yeast, let it sit for 30 minutes and add it to the cooled wort.

Im a bit confused on the topic and want my next 2 batches to be as perfect as I am capable of. On my first ale I just added the dry yeast to some warm water and then pitched it after 30 minutes. (per the instructions)

Thanks so much for all the great information, I kinda figured there would be a sticky on this somewhere, but im just returning tons of general converstation when searching.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2008, 09:45 PM   #2
arcsum68
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Guess I should have kept reading

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost...9&postcount=43

Old 06-27-2008, 09:52 PM   #3
findthefish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Adding the warm water is rehydrating yeast, which makes the cell membrane less permeable, and increases yeast cell viability. A starter can be made after rehydrating, but most don't.

You can "proof" the yeast after rehydrating http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-5.html. This will help the yeast get a bit of a head start on getting acclimated to its new home, but again, this isn't that necessary from my experience. Rehydrating is important though.

Kevin

The Bruery Provisions - Homebrewing supplies and equipment.
BrewCommune - Orange County home brew club, yeast database, recipes, and forum.

On Deck: Belgian IPA
Primary: nothing
Secondary: Traditional Mead
Kegged: APA, Cream Ale, Belgian Ale, Sour Belgian, Barrel Aged RIS

Old 06-27-2008, 10:42 PM   #4
arcsum68
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nice, I already read most of that, but I am taking in alot of information right now because I want to know everything at once. (Its how I am)

I have another question

"However, I recommend that you add another pint or quart of wort to the Starter to build up the yeast population even more. "

I read this in the lager section also, and didnt quite understand.

Does this mean you are adding additional wort to the original wort with the already active yeast, or that you are creating several independent starters that you will add to the large batch of wort?

That was really confusing to write, so I hope its understood.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:44 PM   #5
arcsum68
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

....and, if it is just adding more wort to the original starter batch, am I cooking again or just saving some from the first time I cooked it up?

Old 06-27-2008, 11:13 PM   #6
findthefish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcsum68 View Post
Nice, I already read most of that, but I am taking in alot of information right now because I want to know everything at once. (Its how I am)

I have another question

"However, I recommend that you add another pint or quart of wort to the Starter to build up the yeast population even more. "

I read this in the lager section also, and didnt quite understand.

Does this mean you are adding additional wort to the original wort with the already active yeast, or that you are creating several independent starters that you will add to the large batch of wort?

That was really confusing to write, so I hope its understood.
It is cooking up another starter basically, but adding it to the original starter. It is basically making a really large starter in steps, so the yeast aren't too stressed. It's the same reason you want to make a starter in the first place, and not just toss the yeast in a 5 gal batch.

You should cook up another starter wort.

Alternatively, you could make a large batch of starter wort, and then can it in canning jars. Canning will sterilize the wort, and keep it sealed in an airtight container. So when you are ready to make a starter, or add more wort to it, you can just open up a jar of it, pitch the yeast, and you are set.

Kevin

Old 06-27-2008, 11:44 PM   #7
arcsum68
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by findthefish View Post
It is cooking up another starter basically, but adding it to the original starter. It is basically making a really large starter in steps, so the yeast aren't too stressed. It's the same reason you want to make a starter in the first place, and not just toss the yeast in a 5 gal batch.

You should cook up another starter wort.

Alternatively, you could make a large batch of starter wort, and then can it in canning jars. Canning will sterilize the wort, and keep it sealed in an airtight container. So when you are ready to make a starter, or add more wort to it, you can just open up a jar of it, pitch the yeast, and you are set.

So I am adding yeast everytime I add more wort, or just add more wort?

Sorry, just want to be as clear as possible.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:56 PM   #8
findthefish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
So I am adding yeast everytime I add more wort, or just add more wort?

Sorry, just want to be as clear as possible.
No just more starter wort. As you add more fermentables, the yeast multiply. You are trying to make plenty of healthy yeast to pitch into a 5 gal batch of wort.

Kevin

Old 06-28-2008, 01:53 AM   #9
arcsum68
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by findthefish View Post
No just more starter wort. As you add more fermentables, the yeast multiply. You are trying to make plenty of healthy yeast to pitch into a 5 gal batch of wort.
Thank you very much Kevin, I intend to do this with my Octoberfest, and want it to be great.

Will pretty much any malt base work?

Old 06-28-2008, 01:59 AM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2775 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Thank you very much Kevin, I intend to do this with my Octoberfest, and want it to be great.

Will pretty much any malt base work?
You'll want to use the lightest malt possible if you are brewing a light beer...I prefer xtra light DME...or eve Pilnser DME for my starters. Of course if you are brewing a stout or porter it really won't matter..But using Dark malt for something as creamy as a Kolsh...might affect the taste....

It's optional, and a matter of preference, but some people "decant" the majority of the starter beer off the yeast before they pitch it. Others just swirl and dump the entire starter in...I usually split the difference and pour off a good couple cups of the starter beer off, then swirl the rest and pitch.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply