The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Starter Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2009, 01:52 AM   #1
illinifan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Starter Questions

Just read the FAQ over at Mr. Malty and watched a few YouTube videos on making Starters and justed wanted a little clarification if anyone wants to help. I've done 3 batches just pitching the Wyeast Smack Pack directly into the wort. First, a William's American IPA kit-came out great. Second, a Northern Brew Irish Stout-bottles sitting in a water bath warmed to 70 degrees by an fish tank heater (thanks homebrew talk). Can't wait to try those! Third, a Northern Brewer California Common-sitting in the primary @ about 13 days.

Anyways, the more I read hear and elsewhere, it seems making a starter is a good idea and realitively simple. Couple of questions:

1. I think I can use Extra light DME for most types of beer (I've got an order in for a Mexican lager, a "lawnmower" beer, and British IPA, all from Austin Homebrew Supply). Is that correct.

2. I don't have a flask, I plan on using a sterilized milk jug. Any issues?

3. I don't think I need to use an air lock. Can I just use some foil wrapped tightly around the top?

4. Mr. Maltly says O2 is important. Do I put the starter in the jug, and shake it, then put the foil on, OR put the foil on and then shake it. Also, no stir plate. Can I just shake it every hour or so?

5. When using a smack pack, I smack a couple of days before making the starter?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2009, 02:03 AM   #2
mordantly
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

1 cup any dme per quart water, but lighter is better if you don't decant

if it can be sterilized. flasks allow to boil for the 15 mins in its final container. i would think perhaps pour the slightly cooled wort into the jug to help sterilize it.

as long as the foil can't blow away, it is tight enough. you need oxygen exchange

foil on, and shake the crap out of it. before i had a stir plate i would swirl the vessel to re-suspend the yeast everytime i went by it

i used to smack 12 - 24 hours beforehand

after the starter is fermented.. 48 hours or less generally, put it in the fridge overnight, then decant off the beer.

Last edited by mordantly; 12-21-2009 at 02:12 AM.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:42 AM   #3
illinifan
Recipes 

Thanks. Great site!

Quick Reply