New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Starter kit with everything included

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
williambeck
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Starter kit with everything included

I followed all the directions on the kit instruction except i added brown sugar as suggested by the distributor to add some color. Let the wort ferment for one week and all activity in the airlock had stopped Put my Priming sugar in secondary bucket and bottled Beeer Taste really good but has no head. Why is that?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
Awfers
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Can you clarify if you tasted it after you had left it in the bottles for a week or more, or immediately from the bottling bucket?

If directly from the bottling bucket: this is normal. It doesn't have any carbonation as the yeast have not processed the priming sugar yet, hence no carbonation.

Or, it's simply too soon.. Leave your bottled beer alone for a week or two.. By then it should have carbonated.

Cheers,
Awfers

Last edited by Awfers; 01-02-2010 at 06:06 PM.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
williambeck
Recipes 

Straight after bottling I didnt know I had to wait never have waited when using liquid yeast the yeast i got in the kit was powdered.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
Awfers
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ok, I could go into the mechanics of what happens, but maybe it'll be better if you read:

http://howtobrew.com/intro.html

And especially: http://howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11.html

Old 01-02-2010, 07:51 PM   #5
BrewInATL
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

After you bottle your beer the yeast will consume the priming sugar and release CO2 into the bottles. The bottles are sealed so the CO2 has nowhere to go but back into your beer creating carbonation (head). The process of the CO2 going back into the beer takes time, this is why we suggest to leave your beer in the bottle for a few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernerbits View Post
Because I was fortunate enough to have 255 colors in my crayola box as a kid. You poor bastard.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #6
Deuce
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by williambeck View Post
Straight after bottling I didnt know I had to wait never have waited when using liquid yeast the yeast i got in the kit was powdered.
It doesn't matter if it's liquid or dry yeast, you still have to wait for it to produce CO2 within the bottles. Thats why you add additional sugar prior to bottling.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:41 PM   #7
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by williambeck View Post
I followed all the directions on the kit instruction except i added brown sugar as suggested by the distributor to add some color. Let the wort ferment for one week and all activity in the airlock had stopped Put my Priming sugar in secondary bucket and bottled Beeer Taste really good but has no head. Why is that?
Did you bottle the beer immediately after you added the priming sugar to the secondary? Once you add the priming sugar the yeast begins converting it to alcohol and CO2, so if it is not in a sealed vessel you are not going to get carbonation.

Quick Reply