Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Starter ingredients - how?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2008, 05:00 PM   #1
DJCalico
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Starter ingredients - how?

Ok.. not a question on HOW to make a starter... but for people who are new to brewing like me (about to brew my third batch.. first with a starter) where do get the 1/4 cup of DME to make the starter?

Silly question I know, but if you dont have a LHBS close enough... can you simply take the bag of DME or LME from the recipe you are about to make, take a bit out, then reseal the bag for another day or two while the starter gets going?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2008, 05:51 PM   #2
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCalico View Post
can you simply take the bag of DME or LME from the recipe you are about to make, take a bit out, then reseal the bag for another day or two ...
Yes.

Easier and less messy with DME than LME. I've kept DME in a ziploc bag for months, as all I use it for is starters.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:08 PM   #3
DJCalico
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike N Brew View Post
Yes.

Easier and less messy with DME than LME. I've kept DME in a ziploc bag for months, as all I use it for is starters.
thanks... I just wasn't sure if there was a golden rule about exposing the extract (any form) to air, but I guess if it's only going to end up being boiled it's not that big of a deal.

thanks again.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:10 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

I buy DME in 3 pound bags, and store it in a ziploc bag for making starters. It'll last a long, long time in a dry place.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:21 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2751 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Evidently if you're in a pinch you can also use Malta Goya malt beverage (available in mexican groceries or in the international aisles of major grocery stores).

I first heard about it on here a few weeks back and couldn't believe it, then googled it and on several brewboards people swear by it.

Look at all the mentions on Google. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Malta+Goya+yeast+Starters

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply