Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Starter Ingredients: Cheap White Sugar + Nutrients?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2012, 01:18 AM   #1
iambeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Default Starter Ingredients: Cheap White Sugar + Nutrients?

Can I use plain old white granulated sugar and nutrients instead of more expensive sugars and ingredients for a starter?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 01:25 AM   #2
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 545 Times on 383 Posts
Likes Given: 417

No. It needs to be malt sugar. Otherwise the yeast get used to eating simple sugar instead of the more complex maltose.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:28 AM   #3
iambeer
Recipes 

Thanks. But what is the result/problem of the yeast getting used to simple sugars?

Old 06-23-2012, 01:29 AM   #4
Natethebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Malt and hops give beer its "beer" flavor. its why hard cider doesn't taste just like beer but has the same kind of alcohol in it.
there are things like oatmeal (flaked oats) barley flour, corn grits, or Bulgar wheat that can be used as adjuncts.
I'd look for less refined or stranger sources for your ferment-ables, your beer will taste better

Old 06-23-2012, 01:40 AM   #5
iambeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natethebrewer View Post
Malt and hops give beer its "beer" flavor. its why hard cider doesn't taste just like beer but has the same kind of alcohol in it.
there are things like oatmeal (flaked oats) barley flour, corn grits, or Bulgar wheat that can be used as adjuncts.
I'd look for less refined or stranger sources for your ferment-ables, your beer will taste better
Wheat beer, barley, and rye beers all taste different. Apples taste different and usually use champagne yeast because those eat more sugar. What about if I used high maltose corn syrup? or high maltose rice syrup?

Old 06-23-2012, 02:00 AM   #6
iambeer
Recipes 

I guess this is another thing I have to try first hand. I'm not sure if I agree with the rumor that training yeast to simple sugar is making them fat and lazy.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:57 AM   #7
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 545 Times on 383 Posts
Likes Given: 417

Not a rumor. It's science. The problem is the new yeast cannot as easily metabolize maltose so you end up with an under-attenuated beer. This isn't one of those "homebrewing myths"...university, lab and brewery experiments have shown this to be true. If it weren't, no one would go to the trouble of making a malt-based starter.

There are places to push the rules, but this isn't one of them, IMHO.

If you really want to try it, go for it. But one, or even a few beers, that "turn out fine" is not a robust data set.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:00 AM   #8
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1711 Times on 1600 Posts
Likes Given: 1

"fat and lazy" is just a (rather misleading) analogy. They lose the ability to produce the enzymes necessary for converting maltose.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:02 AM   #9
iambeer
Recipes 

According to my research (googling), it points to something called the Crabtree effect; something what happens in high concentrations of glucose will cause yeast to stop growing and instead turn attention to producing ethanol. But apparently, if the gravity is low enough, this shouldn't be a problem. Still searching for more information.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:03 AM   #10
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1711 Times on 1600 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambeer
According to my research, it points to something called the Crabtree effect; something what happens in high concentrations of glucose will cause yeast to stop growing and instead they will turn their attention to producing ethanol. But apparently, if the gravity is low enough, this shouldn't be a problem. Still searching for more information.
That's something completely different and unrelated.

Quick Reply