Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Starter ferment time?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2007, 11:38 PM   #1
RickWG
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Starter ferment time?

This will be my first time using liquid yeast and I would like to know how long to let the yeast ferment before pitching so I can time my boil. Any suggestions?
6 hours, 1 hour, 1 day?
Thanks for the help. Sure I'll have more questions going forward.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2007, 12:07 AM   #2
RickWG
Recipes 

Actually looked into it and found 12-24 hours. I'll start it tonight and be ready by tomorrow night. Thanks

Old 02-22-2007, 12:22 AM   #3
thenatibrewer
Recipes 

it all depends on the type of liquid yeast you purchased. some say 1 to 3 days some 3hrs. check the package from which the yeast came.

-unknown monk

Old 02-22-2007, 12:34 AM   #4
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Whether or not the yeast is labeled "pitchable", I would highly recommend a starter. After a bad experience on a previous brew with a stuck fermentation, I used a starter on my last brew. Worked great. I was fermenting within hours which really gets rid of the worry associated with a slow start.

Also, as a plus, a starter will let you know whether or not your yeast is healthy or not.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:37 AM   #5
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew
Whether or not the yeast is labeled "pitchable", I would highly recommend a starter. After a bad experience on a previous brew with a stuck fermentation, I used a starter on my last brew. Worked great. I was fermenting within hours which really gets rid of the worry associated with a slow start.

Also, as a plus, a starter will let you know whether or not your yeast is healthy or not.

As I re-read your post, I figured out you actually were making a starter. Sorry for the mistake.

I made my starter about a day before I brewed and it worked fine.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 02-22-2007, 05:00 AM   #6
RickWG
Recipes 

Well one more question
As I was making my starter the air lock and the stopper fell into the starter. (Don't ask...grumble grumble.) This was after I put water in the air lock and set it down to start. I fished it out and re seated it but I don't know if any of the water got into the wort/yeast. Should I just go get another yeast vial or can I use it?

(I know. depends..., chalk it up to a learning experience, not another learning experience...etc.)

What say ye?

Old 02-22-2007, 09:30 AM   #7
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I would say, and this is all tentative, that if your brew time is flexible by, say, a day or two, you could let you first starter go for a day or two, and if it doesn't look infected, pitch it normally. If something bad starts happening in there, get more yeast and make a new starter.

Of course, it might be that the starter would look okay, and infection wouldn't show until you pitched into the main batch, but I'm not sure about that. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can you a more certain answer.

#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Quick Reply