The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Started Yeast too soon, what to do?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 03:50 AM   #1
jjmil03
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Started Yeast too soon, what to do?

Hey guys,

I just finished a batch of Northern Brewer Irish Red. I started my dry yeast too early. It has been sitting for about an hour and a half now, and my wort is still at 90ish degrees. I'm out of ice so I can't ice bath it like I'd like to, so can I leave the yeast sit overnight and pitch it in the morning or should I just pitch it now? Thanks guys!

Jon

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 03:56 AM   #2
cmybeer
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

By starting it you mean you re-hydrated it? If you can sanitize a cover for it you should be good until tomorrow. Or else I would recommend going to a convenience store and getting a ten pound bag of ice to finish the job. provided you don't live in the middle of nowhere. I use the bathtub for cooling sometimes because it can hold so much water it helps keep it cool.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:58 AM   #3
poislb
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmil03 View Post
Hey guys,

I just finished a batch of Northern Brewer Irish Red. I started my dry yeast too early. It has been sitting for about an hour and a half now, and my wort is still at 90ish degrees. I'm out of ice so I can't ice bath it like I'd like to, so can I leave the yeast sit overnight and pitch it in the morning or should I just pitch it now? Thanks guys!

Jon
I assume you rehyrdrated and didnt do a starter correct? Either way just cover it up and put it in the fridge till your ready to pitch. the yeast will fall asleep in the colder temp and when your ready pitch they will wake up and start working.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:04 AM   #4
jjmil03
Recipes 

Yes it was dry yeast, and I put in about 4oz of water per the directions. I added some sugar (like a pinch) so it had something to munch on, not sure if that will ruin anything or not...honestly I didn't even think of putting it back in the fridge.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:48 AM   #5
CBXBob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 152

If you can get the wort down to the mid to high 70's (cold water in the sink?) pitch the yeast. I've pitched at 80 and had no trouble, I've seen directions that called for dry yeast to be re-hydrated at 86-92 degrees, if you can re-hydrate at that temp, I'd assume you can pitch at that temp. What is the ideal temp for ferment listed at for this brew?

Old 07-25-2012, 04:48 AM   #6
jjmil03
Recipes 

I pitched it at 85 degrees...hope it will work.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:49 AM   #7
jjmil03
Recipes 

The packet said the same thing... 85-92, so I figure its only going to cool down more tonight, it should be OK

Old 07-25-2012, 04:53 AM   #8
greenhaze
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I had the same problem last Sunday night. Using a WC I could not get the temp below 90. I also had rehydrated my yeast and it sat for about 45 mins. I pitched the yeast and hoped for the best. No fermentation the next morning but when I got home from work it was happily fermenting. My brew was an Irish Red Ale from Midwestern.
Slainte

Old 07-25-2012, 04:53 AM   #9
CBXBob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 152

I think you'll be fine, but you will need to be able to get your ferment temp lined out, fermenting to warm is not a flavor enhancer, at least that is what I've found. also big temp swings aren't good either. I re-hydrate for 1 hour minimum, usually 2.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:01 AM   #10
jjmil03
Recipes 

Yeah it will settle out around 75 or so in my closet and hold there, so just the next few hours it will be lowering in temp. Hopefully the taste won't be discernable....if so, I'll try it again and see how big a difference. This is only my second brew, so it would be cool to do that to just compare.

Quick Reply