Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Started my first stout
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #11
Doctor_Wily
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: , Michigan
Posts: 349
Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by masskrug View Post
I am attempting my first AG stout next weekend. What kind of oats did you use? I am using Quaker Old Fashioned and I wonder if I need to follow this step; "Steep oats for 15 minutes at 115 F " before I throw them into the mash at ~155 F.
I actually bought flaked oats at my LHBS. I wasn't sure if I had enough oats at home. According to Palmer Old Fashioned oats should be prepared according to box directions prior to use:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Palmer
Oatmeal: 1 L Oats are wonderful in a porter or stout. Oatmeal lends a smooth, silky mouthfeel and a creaminess to a stout that must be tasted to be understood. Oats are available whole, steel-cut (i.e. grits), rolled, and flaked. Rolled and flaked oats have had their starches gelatinized (made soluble) by heat and pressure, and are most readily available as "Instant Oatmeal" in the grocery store. Whole oats and "Old Fashioned Rolled Oats" have not had the degree of gelatinization that Instant have had and must be cooked before adding to the mash. "Quick" oatmeal has had a degree of gelatinization but does benefit from being cooked before adding to the mash. Cook according to the directions on the box (but add more water) to ensure that the starches will be fully utilized. Use 0.5-1.5 lb. per 5 gal batch. Oats need to be mashed with barley malt (and its enzymes) for conversion.
Hope this helps!
__________________
Primary 1: EMPTY
Primary 2: EMPTY
Bottled: super-lite
Latium Talk- A site dedicated to discussion of Latium cryptocurrency. 5 free Latium coin with sign up!

~~Updated Jul 08 ~~
Doctor_Wily is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #12
Doctor_Wily
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: , Michigan
Posts: 349
Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbycitybrewer View Post
Very nice airlock activity willy. I think your smell is just the stout beer. My Irish stout has a slight off smell. Let me know how it bottles and comes out. Cheers.
Thanks for sharing! Yours looks to be coming along quite well. I'm hoping that's the smell, I'm sure a lot of it is just paranoia because I've stepped out of my "comfort zone" doing a new style of beer with different water and what not. My airlock activity has basically ceased at this point (i know this doesn't necessarily mean anything) so it's just a waiting game. I'm particularly excited for this brew because it is a new brew with new ingredients and I haven't done a "dark beer" yet. I also put a lot of work into this one so I want it to be good (I spent probably 2 weeks trying to decide on a stout recipe that I wanted to do).

Cheers
__________________
Primary 1: EMPTY
Primary 2: EMPTY
Bottled: super-lite
Latium Talk- A site dedicated to discussion of Latium cryptocurrency. 5 free Latium coin with sign up!

~~Updated Jul 08 ~~
Doctor_Wily is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #13
derbycitybrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 232
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_Wily

Thanks for sharing! Yours looks to be coming along quite well. I'm hoping that's the smell, I'm sure a lot of it is just paranoia because I've stepped out of my "comfort zone" doing a new style of beer with different water and what not. My airlock activity has basically ceased at this point (i know this doesn't necessarily mean anything) so it's just a waiting game. I'm particularly excited for this brew because it is a new brew with new ingredients and I haven't done a "dark beer" yet. I also put a lot of work into this one so I want it to be good (I spent probably 2 weeks trying to decide on a stout recipe that I wanted to do).

Cheers
I brewed mine Saturday and had crazy airlock activity. BUT, it ceased 48 hours ago. The final gravity never changed. I had to bottle it today. It really needed to be put in the secondary but I'm having surgery Tuesday and won't be able to bottle it after my surgery. It tasted amazing. Hope that yours comes out terrific. Def keep me up to date. Here's a pic of me racking it and the 48 bottles I got out of it.

Cheers.
image-3054907321.jpg   image-1384496573.jpg  
__________________
derbycitybrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 11:14 PM   #14
Doctor_Wily
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: , Michigan
Posts: 349
Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

Default

Sorry to hear bout the surgery. Glad you got it bottled before that you can enjoy while you recover. I'll be sure to update as mine progresses! Cheers to a swift recovery if I don't hear from you before then.

__________________
Primary 1: EMPTY
Primary 2: EMPTY
Bottled: super-lite
Latium Talk- A site dedicated to discussion of Latium cryptocurrency. 5 free Latium coin with sign up!

~~Updated Jul 08 ~~
Doctor_Wily is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 03:30 AM   #15
Erich8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 51
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

@derbycitybrewer

Is that the Brewer's Best Irish Stout? I am brewing mine right now, hopefully it turns out great

__________________
Erich8 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 04:08 AM   #16
derbycitybrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 232
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_Wily
Sorry to hear bout the surgery. Glad you got it bottled before that you can enjoy while you recover. I'll be sure to update as mine progresses! Cheers to a swift recovery if I don't hear from you before then.
Thank you very much. Cheers!!! Follow me on YouTube. Jelder1276
__________________
derbycitybrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 04:09 AM   #17
derbycitybrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 232
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich8
@derbycitybrewer

Is that the Brewer's Best Irish Stout? I am brewing mine right now, hopefully it turns out great
Yes this is the Irish stout. Great beer kit. Follow me on YouTube I have a few videos on the kit. Jelder1276
Cheers
__________________
derbycitybrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #18
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Solway, MN
Posts: 7,137
Liked 853 Times on 710 Posts
Likes Given: 316

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich8 View Post
@derbycitybrewer

Is that the Brewer's Best Irish Stout? I am brewing mine right now, hopefully it turns out great
If you follow the instructions from opening the box to chilling the wort and putting it in the fermenter you'll be good. Then throw the instructions away, saving the part that tells you what the expected FG will be. Keep the fermenter cool, like in the low to mid 60's for a week, then let it warm to the low 70's for another 2 weeks, check the gravity and it is is stable and near the predicted FG, bottle that up. Being a dark beer this will take a little more time in the bottle before it hits its peak flavor so don't be discouraged if it doesn't taste great at 3 weeks. I find that stouts get really good between 2 and 3 months in the bottle. Make sure to save some to see if it isn't true.
__________________
RM-MN is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #19
Erich8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 51
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Cool. I will check out your videos on YouTube I have a little time before work. And RM-MN I followed the instructions to a T. I had never used a dry yeast before and woke up this morning expecting activity and there was none. My last couple of brews I have used Wyeast so I've had really quick fermentation. I'm not worried that it hasn't started up as I have read it will take some time. I am going to check on it after work. And great advice being patient. As I brew more batches my patience is getting a little better. Also, I had read or watched a video somewhere that these stouts do take a while to age, I am thinking a couple weeks in the primary before bottling and letting them condition for a good month or so bottled before I try one.

__________________
Erich8 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #20
derbycitybrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 232
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich8
Cool. I will check out your videos on YouTube I have a little time before work. And RM-MN I followed the instructions to a T. I had never used a dry yeast before and woke up this morning expecting activity and there was none. My last couple of brews I have used Wyeast so I've had really quick fermentation. I'm not worried that it hasn't started up as I have read it will take some time. I am going to check on it after work. And great advice being patient. As I brew more batches my patience is getting a little better. Also, I had read or watched a video somewhere that these stouts do take a while to age, I am thinking a couple weeks in the primary before bottling and letting them condition for a good month or so bottled before I try one.
What temp did you pitch your yeast? I had activity in like 8 hours.
__________________
derbycitybrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
You started. You stopped. You started again... Ize General Chit Chat 27 10-16-2014 05:08 PM
Started a batch of Cooper's Stout Brian_GFH Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 12-06-2011 03:52 AM
Chocolate stout started bubbling in secondary rwberne Fermentation & Yeast 8 11-13-2010 11:56 PM
How to get started? dgoldb1 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 09-27-2010 01:22 AM
Started drinking my first hb stout, and it's great! SilverAnalyst Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 06-17-2007 09:04 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS