Started my first homebrew today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings everyone. First off, thanks for all the wisdom that is passed along on this board. I know that this is going to be a great addiction.

I'm sure I nuked my first batch and will probably dump it tomorrow.....just kidding, I enjoyed the "I ruined my beer" sticky.

For my first homebrew I've started with a AHS American IPA extract kit in which I will dry hop with an oz of cascade hops at the end for about 6-7 days in my secondary.

I feel like a kid in a candy store, as I keep checking for signs of fermentation. Need to just walk away and let the magic happen.

Fermenting yet?

How about now?

:D

I do know the excitement that comes with a new batch of beer! I still love it, and I love thinking about it and talking about it. (Of course, I'm a pathetic loser with no life, but still!)

Welcome to our obsession. It's the only hobby I can think of that produces the best thing in the world- beer!

I love the feeling! I love walking down to the basement and opening the closet door to see the awesomeness that will be in my stomach soon.

Yesterday was brew-day and after putting in the primary the only excitement I experienced around fermentation was checking to discover that it was blowing through my airlock and running onto the floor.. ~18 hours after pitching. a bucket and a big hose remedied that though. Like so many things in life, nothing beats the first time.

Yesterday was brew-day and after putting in the primary the only excitement I experienced around fermentation was checking to discover that it was blowing through my airlock and running onto the floor.. ~18 hours after pitching. a bucket and a big hose remedied that though. Like so many things in life, nothing beats the first time.

That happened to me on my first IPA this weekend. I thought the bucket was going to explode. The lid was swelled up like a football.

Welcome to the long rollercoaster ride of brewing and learning beer.It was all i could think about when i first started, and probably still now,constantlly thinking of the next brew,you never stop learning.

Welcome to the Hobby/Addiction.......

It is great. This place is a great wealth of knowledge. There is a ton to learn. But best of all you can drink beer that you made.

Learn the art of patience and you will be rewarded with very good beer. I would suggest buying another fermenter or two and brew more to get the pipeline going. It makes it much easier to wait out a brew if you have some beer on hand to drink.

Cheers.

Welcome to the fun!

Sit back, relax and have a beer. The yeast knows what its doing.

Well thanks to a little luck and a whole lot of knowledge gained from this forum it looks like my first attempt has been successful. I'm assuming everyone has been waiting for an date, I tasted my 1st brew after 3 weeks of bottle conditioning and I am very pleased with my first brew (AHS IPA extract kit). Still could use a few more days of conditioning, but I am already impressed with what I brewed. Thanks again to all the knowledge that is passed along on this forum.

Cheers! Brian

I was so excited about brewing that I couldn't even wait more than a week after I brewed my first batch to brew my second. It truly is a great hobby. Happy Brewing and Cheers.

I started the first of July. I have 4 batches bottled and 3 fermenting. I have the ingredients for my 8th batch but no place to ferment, yet. My last brew was on Saturday so I don't really need another so soon anyway, next week will be good enough and I will have bottled a batch by then. I am narrowing down my next kits which will be my first all grain. I'll order them later this week so they will be in house when I am ready for them.

It is still exciting to see the fermentation.

Definitely hooked. Tonight was the first taste outside of my gravity readings. I have this IPA bottled, a secondary that has a double chocolate stout, primarary no. 2 with a Modus Hoperandi clone and primary no. 1 with an ESB. On tap is a barley wine. The pipeline should start to fill up come next week.

Back