Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Started my first brew tonight; read for a good laugh!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2009, 12:06 PM   #11
jheist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I scorched the LME my first time as well. It was still beer at the end. Turned out to be a smokey pale ale. I wouldn't say it was horrible but I have since made beer 10 times better. It will make sure you never burn extract again though!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2009, 12:45 PM   #12
pericles
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Your first batch is ALWAYS good. It's just a law of nature. I'm reasonably confident that my left pinky is still in one of the bottles from my first batch. . . and it was STILL good.

Kegged: American Wheat
Bottled: Belgian Golden Ale.
Planning: American Amber

Old 12-11-2009, 01:22 PM   #13
greeneyed
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I received a pot in a bunch of equipment I got off of CL that was scorched.
I boiled some water and added a couple of scoops of OxiClean, and the next morning it came out fairly easy.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:52 PM   #14
Lunarpancake
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If you smell and taste the tap water and both seem ok (no bad flavors or smells) then you can brew with it. I wouldnt be too worried just dont make it habit to stick your hands in the stuff you dump in lol

Old 12-11-2009, 05:31 PM   #15
Lazy8s
Recipes 

Status update: it's about 13hrs later and I'm getting about 3 bubbles per SECOND from the one way valve! Next time I'm going to primary this stuff in my glass carboy to watch! I'm just going to leave it and hopefully it turns out well.

I started with an activator pack and smacked it about 20hrs before pitching. It was from November so by the time I pitched it I had actually placed the pouch in a ziplock bag in case it exploded. I had to cut it open because the bag was too swolen to get it to tear, I had no idea how much byproducts the yeast puts off!! This hobby is a whole lot more fun than I imagined!

Old 12-11-2009, 05:48 PM   #16
Lunarpancake
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
Status update: it's about 13hrs later and I'm getting about 3 bubbles per SECOND from the one way valve! Next time I'm going to primary this stuff in my glass carboy to watch! I'm just going to leave it and hopefully it turns out well.

I started with an activator pack and smacked it about 20hrs before pitching. It was from November so by the time I pitched it I had actually placed the pouch in a ziplock bag in case it exploded. I had to cut it open because the bag was too swolen to get it to tear, I had no idea how much byproducts the yeast puts off!! This hobby is a whole lot more fun than I imagined!
There you go.....you've begun brewing already! While it ferments do some more reading, troll around the forums a little. You will learn loads of info and soon will be answering peoples questions instead of asking them

Old 12-11-2009, 06:49 PM   #17
mcstout
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

As with most things just give it some time. It may turn out great, and if not then you know what not to do next time.
Welcome to the addiction ... uh, I mean hobby!

Quick Reply