The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Started my first...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
Seanana
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Started my first...

Was wondering a few things. I just started my first ever fermentation. I forgot to take the original gravity and am not sure what the alcohol percentage will be or if there is a way to find this out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
Seanana
Recipes 

Side note... Please ignore grammar!!
image-2027628141.jpg

Old 06-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
StoutMeister
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Well first off welcome to the club!!!

ok so you can use some online tools to help you figure out your OG what were you brewing

Just one more thing..........do you have any good beer here??... That Place Brewery

Primary #1 ESB AG
Primary #2 Empty
Primary #3 Empty
Secondary #1 Empty
Secondary #2 Empty
Secondary #3 Empty
Keg #1 Sky's Bier (rootbeer)
In Bottles : Need It Now Pale Ale, unnamed Russian Imperial stout, and Dragon Jewels black IPA

Old 06-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 103

Give us the recipe and your volumes and we will help you out.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:55 AM   #5
woozy
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If it was an extract, we can figure out the original gravity from the amount of the ingredients. If you followed the instructions and the recipe listed an original gravity than you can use that. If the recipe didn't sate an original gravity we can figure out the original gravity by this calculator.

If it involved some grain mashing we can estimate it from one of these calculators but it will be a guess because we will have to guess how efficient you were at mashing out fermentable sugars from the grain. When you take your final gravity we can also try estimating by working backwards by estimating the attenuation of your yeast (what percentage of the sugar the yeast converted to alchohol).

There's a few calculations for Alcohol by volume. My favorite is % Alcohol by Volume = (Original Gravity - Final Gravity) * 131 but there other equations.

Once it's determined that Bob's Net Works makes fishing equipment there's really no point discussing why nylon woven rope is not a good choice for the router and server needs of your online presence.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:51 PM   #6
Seanana
Recipes 

Ok I'm not so sure this counts as a brew, but I really wanted to test out all of the hard work I've put into getting started. So I decided to start a cider. I did six gallon of cider, 3 lbs of sugar and a cuvée yeast. So no brewing required.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:26 AM   #7
woozy
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Well, I imagine one can easily derive original gravity of cider from amount of cider, and sugar. Unless different ciders have different amounts of sugar.

Based on this:

If we assume cider has 28 grams of sugar per cup. There are 16 cups per gallon so there are 28grams * 16 cups = 448 grams per gallon = .9 lbs per gallon.

6 gallons * 448 grams = 2688 grams = 5.9 lbs of sugar.

Then you added three more pounds of sugar for 8.9 lbs of sugar total.

1 lb of sugar has 46 gallon gravity units. That is, if you add a pound of sugar to 1 gallon of water you will have a specific gravity of 1.046.

8.9 lbs * 46 gallon gravity units per lb / 6 gallons = 409.4 gallon gravity units / 6 gallons = 68 gravity points.

So O.G. = 1.068.

*IF* apple cider has 28 grams of sugar per 8 oz.

Why don't you post to the cider forum?

Once it's determined that Bob's Net Works makes fishing equipment there's really no point discussing why nylon woven rope is not a good choice for the router and server needs of your online presence.

Quick Reply