Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > StarSan questions
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #41
woody34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 132
Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts

Default

I continue to be dumbfounded by the people who insist on rinsing their no rinse sanitizer. I know "idiot" is a strong term, so I won't use it. but c'mon folks, stop rinsing the no rinse sanitizers. It's pointless, not necesarry, comes with many risks and no rewards. If you do it, at least do it quiety and stop talking about it on here.

__________________
woody34 is offline
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #42
3sheetsEMJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 196
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody34
I continue to be dumbfounded by the people who insist on rinsing their no rinse sanitizer. I know "idiot" is a strong term, so I won't use it. but c'mon folks, stop rinsing the no rinse sanitizers. It's pointless, not necesarry, comes with many risks and no rewards. If you do it, at least do it quiety and stop talking about it on here.
Ok, we'll stop talking about it. Actually we'll just not post on these at all... And while we're at it, might as well stop brewing beer, or even drinking it, cause idiots shouldnt be consuming alcohol... Right?

Come on... These forums are to discuss, all are welcome. We are not all experts and everyone has their own points of view.

To rinse or not to rinse? That is the question!!
__________________
3sheetsEMJ is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #43
mtk6006
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: boiling springs, sc
Posts: 240
Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default

I use that ldcarlson easy clean. Says no rinse so i dont rinse. I know its not starsan but if it says dont rinse then follow the directions. I mean im not dead yet so.....somebody knows what they talking about right?

__________________
mtk6006 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #44
Kingfish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 253
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtk6006 View Post
I use that ldcarlson easy clean. Says no rinse so i dont rinse. I know its not starsan but if it says dont rinse then follow the directions. I mean im not dead yet so.....somebody knows what they talking about right?
That is an oxygen based CLEANER. It is NOT a sanitizer.
__________________
Kingfish is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 07:54 PM   #45
mtk6006
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: boiling springs, sc
Posts: 240
Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default

I Dont care if its made from monkey farts and cheese it works fine for me.

__________________
mtk6006 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #46
Whattawort
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Whattawort's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: East Bumfark, Yonder
Posts: 912
Liked 99 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtk6006 View Post
I Dont care if its made from monkey farts and cheese it works fine for me.
Unicorn farts and rainbows are better. Just sayin'.
__________________

Bottled - Swamp Water Mead
Kegged - Ryerish Red
Fermenting - Plinius Maior

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

Whattawort is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #47
woody34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 132
Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sheetsEMJ

Ok, we'll stop talking about it. Actually we'll just not post on these at all... And while we're at it, might as well stop brewing beer, or even drinking it, cause idiots shouldnt be consuming alcohol... Right?

Come on... These forums are to discuss, all are welcome. We are not all experts and everyone has their own points of view.

To rinse or not to rinse? That is the question!!
I agree with part about you no longer brewing beer. Or At least don't share it with anyone. If the question (for you) is "rinse or don't rinse", wouldn't the description "no rinse sanitizer" be the answer? Not sure how you, or anyone for that matter, can't grasp that. Oh well, I'll drink my beer and you can drink yours. But lets provide information and not misinformation on this forum.
__________________
woody34 is offline
Revvy Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2012, 08:14 AM   #48
djonas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 116
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody34

I agree with part about you no longer brewing beer. Or At least don't share it with anyone. If the question (for you) is "rinse or don't rinse", wouldn't the description "no rinse sanitizer" be the answer? Not sure how you, or anyone for that matter, can't grasp that. Oh well, I'll drink my beer and you can drink yours. But lets provide information and not misinformation on this forum.
Yikes, there is more e-rage building up in this thread than in an amateur Starcraft 2 match... I have seen people get bent out of shape over many things, but sanitizer was never one of them, ha ha!

No rinse sanitization works fine and has been pretty well defined in previous posts of this thread; you don't have to rinse it out if you don't want to. There is no gain in disputing fact!

However, admittedly a bit off topic, and as an aside, some folks just wanted to point out that you can still wash Starsan out and enjoy comparable performance. I don't think that it was brought up to hurt feelings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy

That's the whole point of this discussion.......No Rinse doesn't mean "Rinse if you're chicken" it means NO RINSE.
You are absolutely correct in equating identical objects! Please see above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whattawort

So why even buy the stuff if you're not going to use it as it was intended?
Any way you cut it, no rinse sanitizer's purpose is to sanitize. If that happens independent of rinsing, then it seems like it is being used as intended!

I am actually using the same bottle that I was given almost three years ago by my homebrew shop owner, so I technically haven't had to buy any. Yet. But when I run out, I'll buy another from him because that guy deserves all the business he can get!
__________________
Tap: The Monolith American Barleywine, Verdant Lager
Primary: Tharsis Belgian Strong Dark Ale, Jupiter Dusk Peach Cream Ale
Secondary: Corpse Rouser Imperial Oatmeal Stout, The Thresher Weizenbock, Artemis Vanilla Cream Ale
djonas is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #49
3sheetsEMJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 196
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djonas

Yikes, there is more e-rage building up in this thread than in an amateur Starcraft 2 match... I have seen people get bent out of shape over many things, but sanitizer was never one of them, ha ha!

However, admittedly a bit off topic, and as an aside, some folks just wanted to point out that you can still wash Starsan out and enjoy comparable performance. I don't think that it was brought up to hurt feelings!!
Thank you... Haha
__________________
3sheetsEMJ is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #50
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,804
Liked 2731 Times on 1638 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djonas View Post
However, admittedly a bit off topic, and as an aside, some folks just wanted to point out that you can still wash Starsan out and enjoy comparable performance. I don't think that it was brought up to hurt feelings!

!
NO you can't. If you rinse Starsan you are reducing it's efficacy by half.....

When we use a wet contact/no rinse sanitizer the way God and Charlie Talley intended (Not rinsing OR letting the sanitizer dry on the surface of the object) we are also creating a protective barrier on the object which prevents and subsequent micro organisms from rendering it unsanitized. It's like a double edge sword...it kills whatever's on there, but also kills anything that comes into contact with it after the initial kill, for as long as the surface is wet.

When you rinse off your starsan, you have elected to give up HALF of it's sanitization power, AND by rinsing it off with water, you also MAY be opening yourself up to infection from the very material you've used to rinse away the sanitizer.

We're not angry, we just don't like to see stupidity being recommended on here.
__________________

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Revvy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools