Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > StarSan questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #31
3sheetsEMJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzeWuzze

Says the guy who washes out the NO RINSE sanitizer, because hes overly concerned

Haha yeah I knew it was just a matter of time before someone said this.

I guess I am contradicting myself, but like a mad scientist I go by results not theory  and so far my beers have been crystal clear ( if the style calls for it) with no infection or off flavors. So to each their own I guess...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #32
Kingfish
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sheetsEMJ View Post
Haha yeah I knew it was just a matter of time before someone said this.

I guess I am contradicting myself, but like a mad scientist I go by results not theory  and so far my beers have been crystal clear ( if the style calls for it) with no infection or off flavors. So to each their own I guess...
That is the problem though. YOU....YOU have had no issues. What about the next guy who does have issues with his water and follows your advise?

Old 09-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #33
loud1
Swill Maker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I love starsan, It's basically 2 food grade acids. Phosphoric acid is commonly used in the food industry for multiple things, just check the ingredient list on Coke. Dodecylbenzenesulfonic Acid is used to make detergents, it acts as a surfactant so it clings to the items you are sanitizing or cleaning. They are acids and some folks are more sensitive than others, I for example barely feel the burn from 35% sulfuric acid (battery acid) after 5 min. on my arm, and sulfuric is an extremely aggressive acid to organic compounds.

"Why yesh, I have been drinking my homebrew again, How nische of you to notisch."

Old 09-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #34
3sheetsEMJ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish
That is the problem though. YOU....YOU have had no issues. What about the next guy who does have issues with his water and follows your advise?
If the "next guy" is in an area where the water is contaminated in such a way that rinsing with tap after soaking in starsan causes issues, then I would advise not doing that... ;-) This however is not an issue with me.

Additionally, if someone is having infection issues because they are ONLY following MY guidelines, then chances are they are not using the full opportunity of this forum. These forums are for posting opinions, we're not writing textbooks, we are letting other people know what works for US, because we have tried many things.

I would hate to mislead someone with advise that would cause them to make a mistake in brewing, which is why I said I advise strict santitation in all aspects of brewing.

My point was very minor. So... Can we move on now?

Old 09-18-2012, 04:32 PM   #35
cosmo
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chungking
Yah, I'm a little hesitant about "no rinse" chemicals going into my beer. I would much rather rinse everything out with water, but you have to maintain sanitation, so what do you do?
Water can kill if too much is used or used improperly. Many people have drowned to death from it. Just use some common sense and you'll be okay.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #36
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2726 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo View Post
Yah, I'm a little hesitant about "no rinse" chemicals going into my beer. I would much rather rinse everything out with water, but you have to maintain sanitation, so what do you do?
But don't you get it? In the case of Starsan "no rinse chemicals" are NOT going "into your beer" they are breaking down in the presence of yeast into benign compounds that are even present in softdrinks. It becomes a yeast nutrient. Like we've said repeatedly listen to one of the podcasts, either basic brewing or brewstrong with Charlie Talley, instead of freaking out from sheer ignorance.

Here's a summation from antother thread of the Brewstrong podcast.

Quote:
There was an episode where Justin tells the maker of StarSan (Charlie Talley) that he racked a 5 gallon batch onto something like a gallon of starsan, realized it happened, and then dumped the batch. Charlie basically told him that the beer should have turned out just fine. The constituent of StarSan would break down to fairly normal ions and actually feed the yeast. That might not have directly applied to finished beer but under a quart and I bet you won't even notice. It is food grade, no rinse, and a weaker acid than you find in your stomach at the recommended concentrations; you are diluting it massively with something like a 4.5 pH beer so you won't even really acidify your batch much. I say drink it. Then, if you aren't convinced that the impact was nothing to worry about, try this: take a glass of another batch and compare to another glass of the same beer but with a similar starsan concentration added (just less than an ounce added to a pint by my rough math). Then, take another pint and add the same amount of tap water. I am willing to bet, if you make the starsan with RO or DI water, you notice the minerals in the tap water before the starsan beer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #37
djonas
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you are worried about chemicals or whatever is the cause of a mild paranoia, you can always rinse the Starsan out after thoroughly sanitizing with it. I always do and have no issues with contamination at all. It is just extra work.

Sorry if his has been posted already; there is a lot to read through up here...

Old 09-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #38
Johnnyhitch1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 31 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 218 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by loud1 View Post
I for example barely feel the burn from 35% sulfuric acid (battery acid) after 5 min. on my arm, and sulfuric is an extremely aggressive acid to organic compounds.

id like to see what other experiments you conduct on yourself

Primary: Kicking Cans DIPA, ECY20 Golden sour.
Kegged: Conan the Brown, OBS (Oatmeal brett stout)
Aging: Flanders Red w/ ECY02, All out Brett.
BOTTLES:

Cider: Grapfelwine, Apfelwine, Cranfelwine, Applejack
Beer: NZ Brett (BD:9/16/12)
Mead: Blueberry-lemon, Raspberry-Lime, Habenero, POM, Traditional.
Cellar: Maple Whiskey Barrel Stout, ST Pumking Clone

Old 09-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #39
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2726 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by djonas View Post
If you are worried about chemicals or whatever is the cause of a mild paranoia, you can always rinse the Starsan out after thoroughly sanitizing with it. I always do and have no issues with contamination at all. It is just extra work.

That's the whole point of this discussion.......No Rinse doesn't mean "Rinse if you're chicken" it means NO RINSE.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #40
Whattawort
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by djonas View Post

So why even buy the stuff if you're not going to use it as it was intended? Think of it as a yeast nutrient. I did an experiment with 2 bottles that had been soaking in StarSan with about an ounce in each and filled them with beer. I then opened one for my friend (blind to it) and one for myself. I asked if it tasted any different than any of the other bottles he had had and he said it didn't. I couldn't taste anything different either. Didn't even notice a difference in mouthfeel or viscosity.

Bottled - Swamp Water Mead
Kegged - Ryerish Red
Fermenting - Plinius Maior

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

Quick Reply