Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > StarSan questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #21
EnjoyGoodBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

And as I said on other threads, remember when you go out to eat fast food joints and restarants all* us no rinse sanatizer of some sort.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:02 PM   #22
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyGoodBeer View Post
And as I said on other threads, remember when you go out to eat fast food joints and restarants all* us no rinse sanatizer of some sort.
And if you drink milk, you're being exposed to it too.....In fact it's probably Iodophor.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #23
Whattawort
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Everything and I mean EVERYTHING gets a healthy dose of StarSan on brew day. I usually have half my sink with a full solution as well as a spray bottle so I'm never too far when I need it. The lid of my bucket and my beer thief get very healthy doses before I take hydro sample and the lid gets yet another healthy dose after I put it back on. My friends who help me bottle always get a little nervous when they see me filling a bottle that still has foam in it. I then inform them that the beer they're currently enjoying came out of a bottle that was filled the same way. StarSan is also the only thing that get's put in my airlocks. If there's any suck back, my beer just got a little yeast nutrient. OxyClean and StarSan are a brewer's best friends.

Bottled - Swamp Water Mead
Kegged - Ryerish Red
Fermenting - Plinius Maior

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

People Like This 
Old 09-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #24
chungking
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

So in theory, couldn't you add some starsan directly to the cooled wort and aerate everything, get it all mixed up and wait for the starsan to do it's job, then pitch the yeast into the newly sanitized wort? I know this isn't much different from spraying the fermenter first and adding the wort, but this way if something got into your wort post boil / while cooling, the starsan will kill anything and everything in the wort and then pitch yeast.

I'm only asking cause I'm ignorant.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #25
Kingfish
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chungking View Post
So in theory, couldn't you add some starsan directly to the cooled wort and aerate everything, get it all mixed up and wait for the starsan to do it's job, then pitch the yeast into the newly sanitized wort? I know this isn't much different from spraying the fermenter first and adding the wort, but this way if something got into your wort post boil / while cooling, the starsan will kill anything and everything in the wort and then pitch yeast.

I'm only asking cause I'm ignorant.
No. The wort will deactivate the sanitizing properties of the StarSan. Which is why you can add wort directly to a wet fermentor. Listen to the pod cast or do some reading....Or just use bleach.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #26
3sheetsEMJ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chungking
Yah, I'm a little hesitant about "no rinse" chemicals going into my beer. I would much rather rinse everything out with water, but you have to maintain sanitation, so what do you do?

;p
At the start of my brewday I always put some starsan in my carboys, fill to the top with tap, and let it sit for a few hours. When Im ready to fill them with wort I pour them out and rinse with tap. I know its not supposed to matter if a little diluted starsan gets into the wort, but this is what I do. Someone brought it up that this is counterproductive since tap is not properly sanitized, but I have never, and repeat Never, had an infection or an off flavor from bacteria. There will always be a small amount of bacteria in the wort, but the hops help kill them and the yeast will create alcohol which is also disinfecting. I am not saying sanitizing is not necessary, it absolutely is, but it shouldnt cause as much worry as it probably does in most brewers. ( when i started brewing I worried about every little thing, now certain things like sanitizing are second nature and I dont worry about it at all)

Truly unless you have a very nice setup, its difficult to sanitize everything perfectly, but if you take the effort to clean your equipment as much as possible, you will be ok. Relax, have a homebrew:-)

Old 09-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #27
Kingfish
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you are just going to rinse it off, why use StarSan?

Old 09-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #28
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 235 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
If you are just going to rinse it off, why use StarSan?
This, there is no point if your just rinsing it off with water afterwords. At that point you may as well just go with something way cheaper like bleach.

View Current Brew via my BrewPi setup!

Old 09-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #29
3sheetsEMJ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzeWuzze

This, there is no point if your just rinsing it off with water afterwords. At that point you may as well just go with something way cheaper like bleach.
Theres no way I would get bleach near my beer, i hate the smell the odor, everything about it. I have friends who sanitize with it and i swear i can detect it in the aroma. I am mainly soaking in starsan to kill any residual bacteria in the carboys, and also to disolve sediment, remove dust particles, etc. The amount of bacteria in tap water is actually pretty negligible, especially if im just rinsing it out once the starsan has been used. Theres still bacteria in it, but Ive never had an issue with an infection- im just saying yes in theory everything that touches the wort should be completely sanitized, but in practice what Ive been doing has proven positive results. To be clear I strictly advise all possible sanitation, but also have the opinion people are overly concerned with it in general.

As a side note when i first started brewing beer me and a friend used to go right down to the spring, grab water in buckets and use tgat to fill the wort in a partial boil brew. The beer was fantastic, yet we didnt stetalize the water. Was there bacteria in the water? Absolutely. But our equipment was clean and out process was sound, so there beer turned out great. There is tyipically enough sanitization with the hops and alcohol to kill the bugs. But one should always use sanitized equipment and ingredients where possible.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #30
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 235 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sheetsEMJ View Post
To be clear I strictly advise all possible sanitation, but also have the opinion people are overly concerned with it in general.
Says the guy who washes out the NO RINSE sanitizer, because hes overly concerned

View Current Brew via my BrewPi setup!

Quick Reply