Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > StarSan questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2012, 02:31 AM   #11
Onlooker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoySeth View Post
I actually wash my hands with it while brewing.
Me too. I'm constantly dousing myself with it. LOL No problems for me in the slightest. But of course there's lots of variability in people's skin sensitivity.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 07:00 AM   #12
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoySeth View Post
Each person is different. Properly diluted Star San is completely safe for MOST people. I actually wash my hands with it while brewing. If it causes skin irritation for you, then be careful, but MOST people will have no problems at all.
This, i was ADD when cutting strawberrys for my 2ndary and kept dipping my knife and hands into some starsan i had in a bowl lol...and kept drizzling it on the cutting board every few minutes.

Im gonna start using more spray bottles for starsan though, i find im going through it way too fast...spraying something down with a spray bottle seems way more economical than making 5 gallons that goes bad in a few days(atleast for me).

Old 09-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #13
VladOfTrub
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 121

"Rather than speculate or operate from ignorance and fear, why don't you just go straight to the horses mouse. This is a great podcast with Chuck Talley, the creator of it. Explaning everything you could conceive about it...."

Yup,,, and the guy who invented DDT said it was harmless.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #14
chungking
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Yah, I'm a little hesitant about "no rinse" chemicals going into my beer. I would much rather rinse everything out with water, but you have to maintain sanitation, so what do you do?

I have never used no rinse chemicals before and only suffered one infection, and that was because of stupidity and first time attempting an all grain with a friend who had never brewed before.

So how long should you wait before using anything that has been sanitized with starsan? I mean you wouldn't immediately spray everything down with starsan and then start exposing your beer to it would you? Why not just dump it into the wort? Ok that last question was more of a joke, but maybe? ;p

Old 09-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #15
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've spritzed everything with starsan and never had an issue that I could directly attribute to it. (I do fear the foam, though...) My bigger problem was with cheap-azz spray bottles breaking (X2). I bought a Rubbermaid spray bottle at HD that seems a little more sturdy.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #16
BamaRooster
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I am in the spray bottle camp and also tend to rinse in large volumes, carboys, and return the starsan to the storage container. After reading the posts here I feel fortunate not to have suffered from skin irritation or worse. I do spray down everything each an every time it might come in contact with my wort once it drops below 170 degrees. I am a bit of a paranoid and feel it is better to be safe than sorry. With all that said, there have been a few brew nights, after a few too many home brews, where I have dunked a clean un-sanitized spoon, whisk or thermometer right into that wort. Sometimes there have been infection resulting in over carbonation. In fact most times it has been OK. Maybe in the end it all comes down to whether or not the beer gods are smiling on you that day.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #17
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Spray bottle of Starsan sits on the counter 24/7 not just on brew days... We use it for spraying fruits and vegetables that will be eaten raw or unpeeled, cutting boards and other itams that are used everyday. A spray or two on the fruits/veggies and a good rinse (I rinse off foods as well as utensils that do not like acid) is SOP in our house. We are not germophobes, but just cautious about eating foods that have been picked as well as picked over by any number of people.

CHUNKING "I mean you wouldn't immediately spray everything down with starsan and then start exposing your beer to it would you?"

I do it all the time.. Spray and while still wet use tubing, fermenters, hydrometers, spoons and pretty much anything else that should be sanitized before use. On bottling day my bottles get a good spray on a vinator and the neck gets dunked then while still wet (and a little foamy) they get filled and capped with a cap that got a quivk bath in Starsan.

bosco

Last edited by boscobeans; 09-13-2012 at 01:49 PM. Reason: added.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #18
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 369 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 256

I usually bathe in it on brew day before I put on my decontamination suit.

You can never be too careful when it comes to protecting your beer from infection...

lab_sterile_01_shadow.jpg  

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keez...y-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.
tjash Likes This 
Old 09-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #19
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladOfTrub View Post
"Rather than speculate or operate from ignorance and fear, why don't you just go straight to the horses mouse. This is a great podcast with Chuck Talley, the creator of it. Explaning everything you could conceive about it...."

Yup,,, and the guy who invented DDT said it was harmless.
Then don't use it, it's your choice. That's the wonderful thing about this hobby. Use what works for you. The information's there. Whether you want to accept it or not is your choice. Some folks still believe the earth is flat. Oh well.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 
Old 09-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #20
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGVT View Post
I usually bathe in it on brew day before I put on my decontamination suit.

You can never be too careful when it comes to protecting your beer from infection...
OH MY GOD, it's TAKE SOME ADVICE. *run*

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

People Like This 

Quick Reply