New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Starsan as good as PBW by Five Star?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2009, 06:12 PM   #21
JKoravos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
I think the cost is small because it translates into less that a cent per pour difference and I get away more enjoyment than that from the difference. I have used a ton of oxi in my day and honestly much prefer PBW.

I bought a pound of PBW recently, so I've been thinking about the cost of cleaners lately. I paid $6.75 for that pound jar of PBW. They recommend to use 1 oz. per gallon, so you can get 16 gallons of solution at their recommended rate. If I wanted to soak my fermenter, a 15 gallon conical, in PBW, I'd have to use essentially the entire pound. It would cost me almost $7 to clean my fermenter. If you want to break it down to pours, that's way more than 1 cent per pour. The total ingredient cost for my average batch is under $30. Adding $7 to clean my fermenter is adding a very significant percentage to my overall cost (not to mention cost for cleaning the kegs and other things that require cleaning throughout the course of a batch).

For a 10 gallon batch, if you were to soak your fermenter, two kegs and some other equipment in PBW, you're talking $10-$15 in cost of PBW for a single batch. That's just too much for me to swallow when there is a 90% as effective alternative available for half the cost, or less.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2009, 06:48 PM   #22
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I do not use there recommended amounts. Those recommendations are for heavy soil and eat through crazy amounts of dirt. I use about one oxiclean sized scoop per five gallons.

The only time I use the recommended dose is when I am cleaning out soda kegs for the first time. Then the extra is worth it to completely clean it out and remove all the soda smell.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:30 PM   #23
farmbrewernw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I work in a brewery and we use PBW and no you don't need to use as much as it recommends, I would say we use less than a half of a pound in 20 gal of water. Also as far as arguing weather or not it's a caustic, yes it is, a dangerous one? NO, but it is a caustic, it feels slippery on your hands and it will dissolve some skin if you where to soak your hand it it for a period of time. One thing I have noticed since I started working at a brewery is that homebrewers tend to over complicate things, you can use whatever you want as long as it cleans your equipment, just make sure you rinse well and use a good sanitizer.

I'm working as a pro now, but that doesn't mean I'm not still homebrewing. I'm going to see if I can homebrew at work as a way to develop new recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi
wow, tha more I drink, tha more cohernet you all are!
and stufffff.
Tiber_Brew Likes This 
Old 09-26-2009, 12:21 AM   #24
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmbrewernw View Post
I work in a brewery and we use PBW and no you don't need to use as much as it recommends.
IIRC, the recommended amount is optimized for a cold use or hot use without a soak. So if you can use it hot and soak for say 24 hours then you can use considerably less.

It is also important to note that you can re-use pbw. When I cleaned out a bunch of kegs I used 1 5-gallon mix (at recommended strength) and cleanec like 6 old soda kegs. Work perfectly.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:25 AM   #25
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
I find PBW to be superior and worth the minimal extra cost. I don't like using Oxyclean as I feel I never get it rinsed satisfactorily and PBW just does a way better cleaning job in way less time.
+1 I'm in complete agreement with this. I've used Oxi-Clean to soak a badly stained plastic fermentation bucket, but I can't use it for extended soaks on glass, because our well water is far too hard, and it will deposit a white film. The "extras" in PBW take care of that just fine. I guess the cost of PBW doesn't bother me, because I don't use all that much. I use it to soak labels off bottles and give them a good initial cleaning, and I use it to clean the inside of carboys (glass & BB), which I only use for secondaries anyhow, so that's not a big deal.

I've read a thread that states you can mix the generic "Sun" brand Oxi-Clean with Arm & Hammer Washing Soda & get the same effect as PBW. I haven't tried it, so I wouldn't know.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Last edited by rico567; 09-26-2009 at 11:27 AM.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:08 AM   #26
mbtech
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyDogBrewing View Post
I guess all tastes are invisible, as far as I can tell.
At least I don't remember seeing any.

StarSan has almost no flavor.
It is actually safe to drink when diluted (don't drink the concentrate!).

See the Don't Fear the Foam threads.
Well, there is a possibility that he is experiencing synaesthesia.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:33 AM   #27
fartingdog
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKoravos View Post
I bought a pound of PBW recently, so I've been thinking about the cost of cleaners lately. I paid $6.75 for that pound jar of PBW. They recommend to use 1 oz. per gallon, so you can get 16 gallons of solution at their recommended rate. If I wanted to soak my fermenter, a 15 gallon conical, in PBW, I'd have to use essentially the entire pound. It would cost me almost $7 to clean my fermenter. If you want to break it down to pours, that's way more than 1 cent per pour. The total ingredient cost for my average batch is under $30. Adding $7 to clean my fermenter is adding a very significant percentage to my overall cost (not to mention cost for cleaning the kegs and other things that require cleaning throughout the course of a batch).

For a 10 gallon batch, if you were to soak your fermenter, two kegs and some other equipment in PBW, you're talking $10-$15 in cost of PBW for a single batch. That's just too much for me to swallow when there is a 90% as effective alternative available for half the cost, or less.
If you read the label- you'll notice that is for CIP operations. For general soaking as we homebrewers are wont to do, 1-2 Tbsp per 5 gal of hot water is sufficient. I wrote this down after hearing Charlie Talley mention it (on a Basic Brewing podcast IIRC).

Being drunk is the best feeling in my poor world. - Drinky Crow

Quick Reply