Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > staring gravity ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2007, 09:47 PM   #1
clemson55
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default staring gravity ?

The first brew ever is in the fermenter. The beer is a liberty cream ale from midwest brewing supplies. The question is that when I took a hydrometer reading it said 1.091 I was expecting something much lower like 1.040-5 based on what I have read. I couldnt find where they listed a probable starting gravity. I added a little brown sugar (1/4 cup) and some vanilla (1oz) to try and boost the gravity slightly and add some flavor. They shouldnt have done that much though should they? If there was some sediment in the wort that I was taking the reading from would that effect the reading? There was definitely a little bit of sediment suspended in it. Thanks for the help.

Primary - Empty
Secondary - Empty
Bottle Conditioning - None
Drinking - Peanut Butter Oatmeal Stout, Barleywine, Saison, APA, Strawberry mead
In the Works - Summer Rye for my wedding, May 15, 2010

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2007, 09:54 PM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 355 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 95

If you don't mix well, it's entirely possible (and probable) that the wort will stratify - the higher gravity, boiled wort on bottom, the top-off water on top.

Fact is, it's physically impossible to NOT get the right gravity with an extract batch unless you add too much/too little top-off water or forget to add some of the extract. The little bit of brown sugar will have a small (almost negligible impact - and since brown sugar is just refined sugar plus a little mollasses, I wouldn't count on it having much of a flavor impact either).

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:22 AM   #4
clemson55
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

It was mixed pretty darn well, I thought maybe not. You dont think the brown sugar will make a difference? You could still smell it at the end of the boil, it was the vanilla that I didnt think would have an impact cause you couldnt smell it anymore.

Heres a pic!

first-batch-primary-1.jpg  

Primary - Empty
Secondary - Empty
Drinking - Peanut Butter Oatmeal Stout, Barleywine, Saison, APA, Strawberry mead

Last edited by clemson55; 12-11-2007 at 12:30 AM.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:12 AM   #5
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

my vote is it wasn't mixed well. you got a sample of the heavy part of the carboy, not a homogenous solution.
it can be REAL hard to get it all mixed. But the fermentation will take care of mixing it up.

if you can post the exact recipe, we can give you a good estimate of the OG.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 12-11-2007, 01:14 PM   #6
clemson55
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

6 lb. Gold liquid malt extract, 8 oz. Carapils specialty grains, 2 oz. Cascade hops, Munton's 6 gm dry yeast

Thats whats in it. Steeped the grains til a rolling boil, added the malt and brown sugar, hops at 45 min left and 10 min left, vanilla at 10 min left

Primary - Empty
Secondary - Empty

Old 12-11-2007, 01:44 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4273 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Your og should be around 1.047 or so. I don't know how much 1/4 of brown sugar is in pounds, definitely not much so I guessed .25 pound.

I'm thinking that your sample was the heavier wort. No big deal, really, because the yeast know where to find the sugar!

Next time, though, don't bring your grains up to a boil before removing them. Steep them at 150-160 for 20 minutes or so, remove them, and then increase the heat to boiling.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:09 PM   #8
clemson55
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

They were in that heat range for close to that time I got the temp up to around 150 then went inside and did some sanitizing then came back out and cranked the heat up. I just left them in the last few minutes til it boiled I didnt think that it would really matter. Will leaving them in the extra time have an effect?

Primary - Empty
Secondary - Empty

Old 12-11-2007, 02:11 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4273 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemson55
They were in that heat range for close to that time I got the temp up to around 150 then went inside and did some sanitizing then came back out and cranked the heat up. I just left them in the last few minutes til it boiled I didnt think that it would really matter. Will leaving them in the extra time have an effect?
You don't want the grains to go over 170 because that can cause some tannin extraction. Don't worry about it this time. Just for next time, make sure you pull the grain bag out before 170 degrees.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:14 PM   #10
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemson55
If you get grains above 170F you start extracting tannins from the husks, which typically produces astringency (mouth-puckering, like over-steeped tea) and probably some off flavor.

It's not the end of the world, especially with only half a pound of grain - may not even be noticeable - but it's a good habit to avoid steeping above 170, because it'll make a lot more of a difference if you do batches with more grain in the future, especially partial mash or even all-grain.

edit: Yooper beat me to it, oh well.

Last edited by Funkenjaeger; 12-11-2007 at 02:16 PM.

Quick Reply