Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Starchy Taste?: Belgian White Witbier

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2014, 02:43 PM   #1
ilikerolls
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default Starchy Taste?: Belgian White Witbier

This is my first time brewing Belgian Witbier and I have 3 brews under my belt. I am doing Partial Mash.
7 days in primary fermenter
7 days in secondary carboy
2 weeks 3 days(17 days) in bottle - carbonated with corn sugar

I understand This type of beer is suppose to be cloudy and it is. I refrigerated one until cold to see how it tastes and it has a starchy like flavor. The beer seems to be carbonated, so I am led to believe most of the priming sugar has been converted. Will this go away in another week or does Belgian Witbier take longer to ferment? Just concerned, because it would be very disappointing if it didn't. I also want to brew this beer again and make some adjustments. Not much of a Orange taste from the orange peels.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 05:15 PM   #2
nsrooen
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Only way to tell is to let it condition in the bottle another week or so then check it again. Some of the "starchy" you are picking out may settle out.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:08 PM   #3
blizzard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 190 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 83

I would let it sit for another week or so to see if it gets cleaned up. If not, we'll need a little more info on the recipe and process.

Future note, try to let your beers sit a little longer in primary. The fermentation should finish up in primary before you move it to secondary (i.e., stable gravity readings over a couple of days). In many cases a secondary is not needed, but it isn't harmful either.

Primary/Secondary/Bottles/Kegged: Delicious, delicious beer

Quick Reply