Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Star San Question - (foam)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2009, 05:27 PM   #1
forcera
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Star San Question - (foam)

This weekend I used Star San for the first time and I have a question about it. I know that it is a no rinse sanitizer but I felt uncomfortable bottling and raking my beer into bottles/carboy that were half filled with the foam. I boiled up some water and washed them out with the pre boiled water so that there was no more foam in the bottles/secondary. Then I bottled/raked as normal.

Would I have been fine bottling with all of the foam in the bottles/carboy? If not what should I do to get the foam out?

Listening to a person that brews their own beer is like listening to a religious fanatic talk about the day he saw the light
- Ross Murray

In Alabama there is no beer, thats why we brew it here
-Kim & SunAe Thomson, owners of Alabrew Homebrewing Supplies, Birmingham's one and only homebrewing store

Alvin Holmes, Alabama House of Representatives, on Beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2009, 05:32 PM   #2
webnmar
Recipes 

DON'T FEAR THE FOAM!!!!!

The foam actually works good for the yeast, has no flavor to the beer, keeps the surfaces moist (only way sanitizer works), and makes usre you get sanitizer out around the lips of the bucket, fermenter, and bottles. (As it pushes out while you fill with other liquid.)

Leave the foam, I have been using Starsan a long time and it is better to leave it than risk infecting by rinsing.

Drinking - Shocktoberfest, EdWort's Haus Pale Ale, EdWort's Oktoberfest Ale, German Alt Dunkel, EdWort's ApfelWein, May The Schwarz Bier With You 2

Bottle Cond.- Novacaine(11/20), Tripel Tipple (8/15), Russian Imperial Stout (8/15)

Primary- Variation on EdWort's Haus Pale Ale (10/16), EdWort's Cran-ApfelWein(10/17)

Plans- Optimator Clone, Millenium Ale

Old 10-12-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
ckloecker
Recipes 

As I understand, Star-San is basicly nuetralized when it hits the wort. It has no taste, just as an experiment I actually tasted a bit of the sollution and can say it has no flavor. I have heard from others that they have accidentally added even a few ounces (or more) to there beers with no ill effects.

I use star san and routinely bottle onto foam and have had no problems.

Learn to love the foam, foam is your friend.

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

Old 10-12-2009, 07:59 PM   #4
forcera
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks guys. It just seems kind of counterintuitive to put the beer in there with a sanitizer.

Listening to a person that brews their own beer is like listening to a religious fanatic talk about the day he saw the light
- Ross Murray

-Kim & SunAe Thomson, owners of Alabrew Homebrewing Supplies, Birmingham's one and only homebrewing store

Old 10-12-2009, 08:03 PM   #5
Bowtiebrewery
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yea it scares me too... maybe next time I'll just rack ontop of it...

Old 10-12-2009, 08:03 PM   #6
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 484 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I rack onto wet starsan every time I move my beer. Into primary, secondary, bottling bucket and bottles. I can say that there is no effect on my beer. One of them just scored well and won my category and group in the HBT BJCP comp. I'm sure if there was any problem with the starsan, the judges would've picked it out.

I use a spray bottle filled with starsan and coat everything down, then hold the vessel I just sprayed upside down over the sink for about 5 seconds to drain out the excess. That's it!

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 10-12-2009, 08:08 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

If it weren't completely safe to do so, we wouldn't be....Just because you are afraid of something doesn't mean you're not just being paranoid.....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/stup...r-foam-127044/

Iodophor and Starsan, are no rinse wet contact sanitizers meaning that as long as there is sanitizer still in contact with whatever you sanitized anything that comes in contact with the sanitizer will be killed, but if you rinse it or let it dry anything that comes into contact with the surface then possibly contaminates that object.

Basically by letting sanitized objects dry, or by rinsing, you reduce the efficacy by half, you've killed what's on there already, but you have removed the deadly barrier of wet sanitizer from the surface of the object.

Rather than fear it, why dontja edumicate yourself. There's a lot of great info in here including a podcast with the creator of starsan. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sani...uestion-54932/

If you actually did, then you might come to learn that the stuff left behind becomes YEAST FOOD and is really beneficial for the beer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-12-2009, 08:09 PM   #8
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts

You're wasting your money on a no rinse sanitizer if you are going to rinse it anyway.

If you are filling a carboy or keg fairly full, most of the foam gets pushed out of the top anyway (and will keep stuff from falling in while you are racking, leaving the foam is a win-win situation).

Old 10-12-2009, 10:01 PM   #9
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Can't improve on the advice in the above posts. I rely completely on Star San (and its foam) for sanitizing. Easy to use, inexpensive, effective. No problems that I've seen.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:01 PM   #10
forcera
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Rather than fear it, why dontja edumicate yourself. There's a lot of great info in here including a podcast with the creator of starsan. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sani...uestion-54932/
Sorry for asking a question

- Ross Murray

Quick Reply