Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > star san foam

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
morris1980
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default star san foam

i just used star san for the first time. the bottles are dry but there is still a little foam in some of the bottles. will it go away or do i have to get it out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2009, 01:33 PM   #2
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You don't have to do either. Star San foam will not hurt your beer in any way. Just fill 'em up...

Listen to the March 29, 2007 Basic Brewing Radio podcast for more information about Star San from the man who invented it.

Primary/Secondary: #109 Rye, #110 APA

Kegged: #106 American Wheat, #107 IPA, #108 Nut Brown

Planned: Red IPA, American Brown

Old 04-15-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just leave it. Once you use star san a few times and you get to play with the foam a little, you'll see that what looks like a lot of star san is really nothing. A big handfull of foam isn't even enough to wet your hand. There's nothing to that foam.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 04-15-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Don't fear the foam, but don't let it dry either, Starsan and Iodophor are no-rinse, wet contact sanitizers, meaning they maintain their efficacy as sanitizers as long as they remain wet. If you allow something to dry and a microrganism then touches or lands on/in, it, the object will no longer necessarily be sanitized.

As to the foam...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-15-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
If you allow something to dry and a microrganism then touches or lands on/in, it, the object will no longer necessarily be sanitized.
Well...I'm sure this is only true for a limited amount of time, but from the AHS website:
Quote:
Star San leaves a microscopic film on sanitized items that will continue to protect bottles and equipment even after they have dried.
So just because it dried doesn't mean you need to wet everything down again necessarily, but don't expect that just because you used starsan on it one time that it is forever sanitized. Probably just use common sense and if in doubt, spray it again.
On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 04-15-2009, 03:16 PM   #6
LaurieGator
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 31

A squirt bottle filled with distilled water and star-san mixture lasts for a very long time. It is good to have one around to use!

Fermenting: Grand Cru, Belgian Dubbel, Nut Brown Ale, Saison Sans Soul

Kegged: Honey Amber Ale, Centennial Blonde Ale,

Gone but not forgotten: Irish Red

Old 04-15-2009, 04:30 PM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastarine View Post
Well...I'm sure this is only true for a limited amount of time, but from the AHS website:

So just because it dried doesn't mean you need to wet everything down again necessarily, but don't expect that just because you used starsan on it one time that it is forever sanitized. Probably just use common sense and if in doubt, spray it again.
That's sort of an arbitrary statement...It doesn't really say how long, does it? Is it still effective after 5 minutes, and hour, over night?

How bout the NEXT mircoparticle after the first one that lands on the dry object and is killed????

Most of us adhere to the Wet Contact, don't let it dry, idea and err on the side of caution.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-15-2009, 05:25 PM   #8
dazed
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A Quote from Charlie Taley from 5 star in an email a couple years ago

"As for the residual yes it will keep organisms from growing as long as it
doesn't come into contact with moisture for about one week. At least that
is what my non-EPA tests have proven."

but YMMV....
as far as putting stuff together wet there is a refrence to stuff that your assembling like valves, kegs, conicals...etc...

Old 04-15-2009, 05:52 PM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed View Post
A Quote from Charlie Taley from 5 star in an email a couple years ago

"As for the residual yes it will keep organisms from growing as long as it
doesn't come into contact with moisture for about one week. At least that
is what my non-EPA tests have proven."

but YMMV....
as far as putting stuff together wet there is a refrence to stuff that your assembling like valves, kegs, conicals...etc...
Again...that's all well and good, until a bird poops in your fermenter, or you touch the dry object with your unsantized hands....No sanitizer is a magic kill all....but if you keep the stuff wet, the efficacy is higher...that's ALL I've been saying..they aren't not called , "no-rinse, wet contact" sanitisers for a reason....If you want to make sure your stuff is sanitized, then leave it wet....use it relatively soon....

OP, This thread has a lot of great info on santizing, including podcast links on using starsan and iodophor, and some great tips on using either of them.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sani...tizer+question

Old 04-15-2009, 07:06 PM   #10
BuzzCraft
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed View Post
what does this mean?

Quick Reply