Star San

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenwoodRover

me-no-r-no Nice Guy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I looked around but can't find an answer (searched the forums and google). The question: How long does a batch of star san last?
Hopefully I'll be able to bottle my first batch in 3-4 weeks. I was thinking about mixing up a batch of star san in my bottling bucket so I can soak sanatize some euipment for my next batch and periodically dip/soak sanatize my thief and other testing and other random supplies. If I leave the starsan in the bottling bucket until I'm ready to bottle will the bottling bucket still be sanatized if I drain it and rack to it?

Oh, as long as it stays under a ph of 3.5 IIRC.

I got a batch of starsan going on 3 or 4 weeks now. Just keep it sealed from the air and it will last a good long time. I usually keep it until it gets discolored and/or lots of floaty material. Great stuff.

uuurang said:
Oh, as long as it stays under a ph of 3.5 IIRC.

I got a batch of starsan going on 3 or 4 weeks now. Just keep it sealed from the air and it will last a good long time. I usually keep it until it gets discolored and/or lots of floaty material. Great stuff.

whats IIRC?

From what the bottle says, so long as it's not cloudy, it's good to use. Of course it'll be hard to tell with it in a bottling bucket.

Hard water will make it cloudy almost immediatly. The PH is the most important thing.

I make up 5 gallons in a carboy and reuse it. When I need to sanitize another carboy I pour some out into that one and then pour ot back. After a few brews I throw it out and start all over.

Brewsmith said:
Hard water will make it cloudy almost immediatly. The PH is the most important thing.

I make up 5 gallons in a carboy and reuse it. When I need to sanitize another carboy I pour some out into that one and then pour ot back. After a few brews I throw it out and start all over.

Was talking to Jim at 5 Star the other day, he said a little hazy or cloudy and its still ok, if it gets milky cloudy its probably no longer effective.

Yeah. I've heard about the hard water and the haze. I just don't want anyone to think that the little bit of haze from the hard water is reason to throw it all out.

SuperiorBrew said:
If I Remember Correctly

thanks...I just ordered some ph strips from ebay... 4 bucks got me 100 strips...thought it was a good deal..

Brewsmith said:
Yeah. I've heard about the hard water and the haze. I just don't want anyone to think that the little bit of haze from the hard water is reason to throw it all out.

You are correct. Anytime I mix it using Omaha water, it's cloudy because we have such hard water. I was a little freaked about it until Malkore talked about having the same issue in Lincoln.

Apparently if you really want to keep it a long time you can buy distilled water to mix it with and it will last a very long time.

I've got medium hard water here in the PNW. My Star San starts to get cloudy after about 6-8 weeks at which point I make a new batch.

GT

Back