Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Star San

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
triplehops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 41

Default Star San

is it wrong to fill your unused carboy with san star while it awaits your next batch?? can it get smelly? I was thinking that if i cleaned it well, then just kept it full....shake it up, drain and its ready to go......

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2304 Times on 2005 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

You don't really need to store it full of starsan. Just clean & sanitize it before storage & sanitize it again right before use. The stuff works pretty fast.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
Wingnutt73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I had a question about starsan. When I was reading up on Dry hopping I saw some people say they used it to sanitize the actual whole hops. Is this ok to do? I thought by washing the dried hops it would rinse the oils out of the hops thus not giving the hop flavor you are trying to add by dry hopping. Either Way I did not do this but plan on dry hopping in the future. Any thoughts?

Primary - Wingnutt's Somethin Pumpkin
Secondary -Empty
Bottled- Apricot Double IPA
Kegged- Galaxy Brown Ale

Old 03-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Don't rinse or sanitize the hops. It's not necessary at all. That's what they do for the beer. Just sanitize the hop sack before putting the hops in'em & drop it in.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 353 Times on 227 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I've stored it with Star San in it to try to prevent mold growing--a problem here. It never caused problems. However, I still use a fresh batch of Star San before filling the carboy. I'm not going to spend good money on ingredients and equipment then spend 6 hours of my day only to risk it all by trying to reuse an ounce of Star San.

I always make a fresh 5 gallons of Star San on the day of brewing. I refill my Star San spray bottle from this so I have some between sessions for sanitizing beer thieves, etc. The five gallon new batch of Star San gets racked back and forth into any container that needs sanitized during the brew day--I do double batches so as a minimum I will have two carboys to sanitize. When I'm done for the day I either pitch this bucket last or cover to store.

An ounce of Star San is cheap and the stuff so effortless to mix and use, why risk your batch?

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #6
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 353 Times on 227 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Don't rinse or sanitize the hops. It's not necessary at all. That's what they do for the beer. Just sanitize the hop sack before putting the hops in'em & drop it in.
This is the way to go. I sanitize the sack and then sanitize the outside of a bag of pellets, open the bag of pellets, dump them straight into the sack, tie off and immerse.

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

The stuff can last a longer time than most think. If the PH is 3 or lower,it's good. Cloudiness also has little to do with it's viablity.

amandabab Likes This 
Old 03-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #8
Wingnutt73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks I didnt think that was a good thing to do.

Secondary -Empty
Kegged- Galaxy Brown Ale

Old 03-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
Wingnutt73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

As far as how a San my carboys. I use starsan brush those badboys good and clean then I turn um upside down for a couple days to let them drain and as not to cause mold growth on the bottom which is a pain in the Beep to get out! Then once good and dry I put the plug in and store them so dust or anything does not get in. Once brew day is here I rinse again with Starsan and go to town.

Secondary -Empty
Kegged- Galaxy Brown Ale

Old 03-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #10
triplehops
Recipes 

Likes Given: 41

^ AND.....my buddy uses oxy-clean (like the one on tv but now on the shelves). I use that too. let that carboy or blow off tube soak in that and it melts the crud away!! i then rise well....very well, then star san it all.
hyperworriedaboutcleanlyness !!

Quick Reply