Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Star san?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 02:44 AM   #21
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanson16 View Post
When using star San does it have to dry completely before coming in contact with beer or wort?
It's a 'wet contact' sanitizer. Meaning, it's effective protection while WET. Letting it dry negates it's protection layer.

Having a layer on your fermenting vessel is a good thing. Letting it dry before moving the beer/wort into the vessel is a bad thing. If you're bottling, get a bottle tree so that they're inverted while you fill (you pull one down, fill it up, then grab another from the tree, should be a song) another. I use that for my mead bottles. Since things won't fall up into the bottles, you're good there. Besides, I spray the tree with Star San before putting bottles on it (I keep spraying the empty spikes to make sure they're safe). Never had any issue with this method.

I know of other brewers that just dunk, fill, empty the bottles in the Star San bucket before bottling. Most haven't have any issue that way either. I just see the tree as extra insurance for the bottles I do use. Although when filling them with ~14%+ fluids, chances are nothing bad will happen.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 03:32 AM   #22
chanson16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie

It's a 'wet contact' sanitizer. Meaning, it's effective protection while WET. Letting it dry negates it's protection layer.
Thanks. That is what I thought. I was confused because the bottle says to let it dry.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:39 AM   #23
JTylerSingletary
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Agreed. The foam is also an active sanitizer, so even a little foam in the bottles won't hurt anything. There is less phosphoric acid in Star San than a can of Coke, but it has worked great for me for years.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:41 AM   #24
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Quote:
Thanks. That is what I thought. I was confused because the bottle says to let it dry.
Well whattaya know... Just checked the new bottle I got (finally ran out of my old one, after over a year)... It does say to have at least a full minute of wet time. So, you're call. But, IMO, a bottle tree makes it easier to keep bottles 'safe'. For other applications, a spray bottle of solution is a cheap, and easy, way to make sure things are kosher.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-17-2012, 04:33 AM   #25
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I use a spray bottle with a mix of distilled water and StarSan. It wouldn't work well for carboys or better bottles but it's great for practically everything else.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:29 AM   #26
chanson16
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewed a batch with Star San and I have to say it is now my go to sanitizer. Much easier and more economical than one step.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:34 AM   #27
mammothkraken
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Also save your starsan. Get a 5 gallon bucket and mix up a batch, when you're done sanitizing everything pop it back in the bucket and store in the garage. I've been using the same starsan for 3 months and it still works great.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:36 AM   #28
chanson16
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammothkraken
Also save your starsan. Get a 5 gallon bucket and mix up a batch, when you're done sanitizing everything pop it back in the bucket and store in the garage. I've been using the same starsan for 3 months and it still works great.
I saved my batch of star San. That definitely helps. Do you check the PH? I heard if the PH is less than 3.5 it is still usable.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:44 AM   #29
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Quote:
I saved my batch of star San. That definitely helps. Do you check the PH? I heard if the PH is less than 3.5 it is still usable.
Below 3.0 is the previously noted range. If yours has a PH above 3.0, toss it and make fresh before you use it again.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 12-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #30
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The batch will keep longer with RO and distilled water than it will with most tap water.

Quick Reply