Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Stalled Fermentation? (slow) 1.04 to 1.03 in a week

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2013, 11:30 PM   #1
MrMonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Default Stalled Fermentation? (slow) 1.04 to 1.03 in a week

My newest brew in primary is a Belgain Witbier from Salt City Brew Supply.

I brewed it a week ago, 4/7/2013, OG was 1.040, It's supposed to be 1.049 but I only boiled 3.5 gallons...

today, 4/15/2013 it's at 1.030, probably a much more accurate reading.

So 1.049 to 1.030 in 8 days, is that normal?

I opened it up yesterday and noticed a lot of activity on the top (krausen), then later I read that some of them won't sink for a month or so....so I opened it up (the only bucket fermentation I've done so far) and the thick layer is still bubbling.

I guess it's fine..................but it seems slow! Recipe calls for 7-14 days in primary @ 60-75F, or 4-6 days in primary & 10-14 days in secondary.

One thing where I didn't explicitly follow the instructions - --- I used the smack pack wyeast 3944. I pulled it out of the fridge, left it for ~30 minutes, smacked it, wanted to leave so I pitched it before the pack had swelled very much.

**fermenting around 61F**

Primary 1: Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA, Primary 2: Belgian Witbier, Primary 3 & 4: Apfelwine - 1 w/ montrochet, 1 Nottingham ale yeast
Bottled 1: Amber Ale, Bottled 2: Hefeweizen, Bottled 3 & 4: Half-azzed accidental keeved cider
Coming up: Merlot, Centennial Blonde, some sort of stout, KiWit, Melomel, Cyser, Nierra Sevada, Graff, I Eat Danger for Breakfast Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 11:55 PM   #2
ShinyBuddha
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

61 is on the cool side for sure. Raise it up to the mid 60s if possible and give it a gentle swirl. I typically leave batches in the primary for three weeks myself.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #3
twistr25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Ignore those instructions and leave it in the primary for at least 14 days. Cooler temperatures will affect the fermentation process, not to mention the initial temp of the yeast. I believe the smack packs say they do not need to completely swell, but the point of that is to allow the yeast to start reproducing. The combination of the cold temps and early pitch may just take it longer to finish. Raising the temp a bit will help, but I wouldn't bother it again for a week and see what you get.

Future: ???
2013 Previous: Sunrise Honey Rye Pale Ale, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Dark Skies Black IPA, Sunset Orange Kolsch, All Hallow's Eve Pumpkin Ale, Maple Vanilla Brown Ale, Raining Hops and Dogs IPA

Awards/Recognition
Dark Skies Black IPA - 2nd Place at a local comp. Score of 39 from a BJCP judge

Twistr25 Recipes

GT Keezer Build

Old 04-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 358 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 109

61 is a little cool for that yeast. It will still ferment but take a lot longer.

Quote:
YEAST STRAIN: 3944 | Belgian Witbier™

Back to Yeast Strain List

This versatile witbier yeast strain can be used in a variety of Belgian style ales. This strain produces a complex flavor profile dominated by spicy phenolics with low to moderate ester production. It is a great strain choice when you want a delicate clove profile not to be overshadowed by esters. It will ferment fairly dry with a slightly tart finish that compliments the use of oats, malted and unmalted wheat. This strain is a true top cropping yeast requiring full fermenter headspace of 33%.

Origin:
Flocculation: Medium
Attenuation: 72-76%
Temperature Range: 62-75F, 16-24C
Alcohol Tolerance: 11 to12% ABV
Get the temp up and then just let it finish. The krausen can stick around for quite a long time with that yeast. Unfortunately we cannot put yeast on a time clock. Yeast works on it's own time and we cannot control it. You just have to let it do it's job. It will let you know when it is done. Give it some more time and then take a reading to see where it is at.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
DPBISME
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I agree with both of the other guys... you still have activity because you are brewing at the low end of this yeasts range. It is just going slow.

I would put it in a warmer place,,, as high as 72 would be ok because this batch must be nearing its end.

I usually try to ferment my "Wheats" at the low end and I let them sit for two weeks and then Keg.

I do not check them until the time is up... I don't see a need as long as everythng lokks like it is progressing as it should.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
MrMonkey
Recipes 

I just brought it upstairs, the ambient temp is around 66 I think.....

Old 04-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #7
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Probably underpitched, fermenting a little cool for the yeast, and it is on the slower side compared to the average. So yeah, just let it ride.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #8
MrMonkey
Recipes 

I was leaving for a few hours, maybe the night - would it have been better to leave the yeast packet on the counter & just airlocked the wort?

...learning about yeast & potentially growing/propogating it is where I want to direct some attention next, I know very little about it so far.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
twistr25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMonkey View Post
I was leaving for a few hours, maybe the night - would it have been better to leave the yeast packet on the counter & just airlocked the wort?
You could have, but the end game is it may just take a little longer, not that you did anything wrong per say.

Future: ???
2013 Previous: Sunrise Honey Rye Pale Ale, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Dark Skies Black IPA, Sunset Orange Kolsch, All Hallow's Eve Pumpkin Ale, Maple Vanilla Brown Ale, Raining Hops and Dogs IPA

Awards/Recognition
Dark Skies Black IPA - 2nd Place at a local comp. Score of 39 from a BJCP judge

Twistr25 Recipes

GT Keezer Build

Old 04-23-2013, 11:33 PM   #10
MrMonkey
Recipes 

I just did another gravity reading on this - 1.010 - is it safe to bottle? I know the right answer is to check it in another couple of days but thought this might be low enough....

...also - the krausen has not all settled - there's still a 1/4" thick layer on top.

Quick Reply