Stalled fermentation help?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefjeremy

Reaction score
I'm trying to brew Yoopers Oatmeal Stout. It's been about 4 weeks, and the SG is only at 1.030 The OG was 1.060 and I used US-05. Any suggestions on what my next move should be? Swirl it up and increase the temperature? Any help would be greatly appreciated

I had something similar with my partial mash brown. I overheated my grains.

Did you do any mashing with high temps, or did your fermenting temps get too low?

I added some sugar and gently stirred, which helped bring it down a few more points. But it depends on why it's stuck.

Mash temps were all in range. It fermented at 63, which could be on the cool side.

That would be my guess then. I'd give it a gentle stir to try and rouse the yeast.

Ok, I'll warm it up a few degrees and give it a shake. Nope, not a refractometer...just the same hydrometer i've been using for a while now.

And try a temp around 66* to help it. Nothing more than 68*.

Why not more than 68? The fast part of the ferment where off flavors occur has already passed. Now he just wants to encourage the yeast to work a little more. I regularly let my beers warm to the low 70's with no problem at this time in the fermentation.

I normally never let them get above 68*, though, after my 3 weeks of fermentation I'll often pull them from the tub and allow them to come up to room temp for my last week (I give them 4 weeks).

I'm not certain when it's OK beyond maybe 7-10 days. So I just don't do it at all. But I also wasn't exactly certain how much time had elapsed for him.

Back