Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Stale ingredients - real world experience?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
gatorforty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Stale ingredients - real world experience?

Question folks,

2 weekends back, I went to my LHBS and got some grains and hops for a batch of Pale Ale. Life got in the way, and I haven't had a night to brew.

Since I don't have a crusher, I had the guy crush the grain for me. It's in a plastic bag that's not airtight. It's about 6 lbs of Two Row and 1/8lb of Honey Malt.

I also got 2 oz of Cascade hops (leaf). The guys vacuum sealer wasn't working...so he taped the mylar bag shut. It's not airtight. I have that mylar bag in my fridge, in a ziploc.

Question is...I know best practice is to brew immediately after crushing grains, and with the freshest hops. Has anyone ever been in my situation and brewed anyway, with the "not so fresh" ingredients? What was your experience with the flavors?

Should I just go back to the LHBS and get fresh stuff?

Thanks guys.

Ron

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
MississippiSlim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I just posted in another related thread about some brews I recently did with grain that had been in my freezer milled for over a year. Not perfect but great beer just the same. It may have sat out for a couple weeks before even going in freezer..... Anyway, it will make beer, don't worry.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply