New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > stainless steel stockpot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 11:14 PM   #1
CrapulencePants
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default stainless steel stockpot

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, but I thought others noobs, like myself, would appreciate this. 22-quart stainless steel stock pot for $40. I just picked one up today and it's better quality than the ones they sell at the LHBS.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-22-Quart-Stainless-Steel-Stockpot/5902722

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2010, 11:39 PM   #2
gtpro
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thats a high quality pot, with a lifetime warranty. I bought the exact one a month ago hoping to go all grain with it, when I realized its not nearly big enough for AG i returned it and bought a bigger one online. The problem with the 22qt is that its just barely too small to even do full boils in.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:06 AM   #3
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

It's not ideal but I've been doing full boils with it for the past few months. I have a 40 quart stock pot but wanted to do double batches and didn't want to spend the $ for another 40 quart pot. Already had the 22 quart so rolled with it.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:15 AM   #4
CrapulencePants
Recipes 

I haven't started full boils or AG yet, so this is ideal for me. Thought it would be ideal for other noobs who don't do full boils either.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:19 PM   #5
ILuvIPA
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default +1 on that pot

Bought that pot last month. Yep, it's only 5.5 gallon but you won't find anything close to the quality at that price. Has a triple ply bottom (no hot spots.) I forget the gauge but it is stout.

For 40 bucks I think it's a steal. I've been brewing full boil 1/2 batches (3 gallon boil = 2.5 gallon in the bucket.) For stove top fun in the dead of winter this thing rocks!

Old 02-05-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
Zen_Brew
Zensunni Brewer

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yup, that Tramontina is good quality stuff on the cheap. I got that pot early on and have moved up to a 9 gallon pot, but I use the Tramontina to heat the Mash and Sparge water on the kitchen gas range. The triple ply bottom is pretty sweet too. I own one of the smaller Tramontinas with the pasta and steaming inserts also for cooking. Good stuff.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 02-05-2010, 01:39 PM   #7
Marsdude
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Another thumbs up for this pot. Very well made and the thicker bottom is great for even heat distribution.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:41 AM   #8
jrss13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

apparently you guys can get a better deal on this than I can. Around Buffalo NY (and on Walmarts web site) they are $49.99... not that big of a deal... but its another $10

Kegged: Amarillo IPA, Blueberry Wheat, Shaquille Oatmeal Stout
Next Up:: IPA

Old 03-02-2010, 12:50 AM   #9
DavidHawman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use that pot and it works wonders. You can do full 5 gallon boils in it. However, you must:

a) watch it like a hawk because there is very little head space, 1" at best
b) wait for the hot break to happen before adding hops or you will boil-over. I do ~80 minute boils, 20 minutes for the hot break, then proceed with 60 minute hop schedule.

This gives me about 4 gallons at flame-out.

It is a great pot though, surprised that it was so cheap and yet so sturdy. I have no fear carrying 4 gallons boiling wort from stove to sink, the handles are insulated and riveted on.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:12 AM   #10
marubozo
I can has homebrew?

Recipes 

Liked 5359 Times on 5219 Posts
Likes Given: 219

This is the same pot I've used for a long time for extract and partial mash brews. It's been great. As David said, you can boil 5 gallons in there if you're careful. Just watch it closely during hot break and/or use Fermcap or something to keep the foam down. All said and done you usually just have to top off with a gallon or sometimes a tad less.

Quick Reply