The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Spring Break brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2008, 08:49 PM   #1
AndrwHock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Spring Break brewing

Hey fellow brewheads. I'm a college student and my spring break is next week. Its about time for another brew day, though, and I'll be doing some charity work pretty far away during the break. Do you guys think its wise to brew beer then pitch the yeast before I leave. I think it has some pros and cons.

I'll be less likely to worry about a nonactive bubbler and I won't be able to touch the beer during the fermentation process, reducing the risk of contamination, but the downside is that I'll be gone and won't be able to keep an eye on it in case of a vigorous fermentation.

Do you guys have any advice? Should I just set it up with my airlock and forget about it? I don't know if I'll have time to go out and get extra tubing and junk for a blowoff tube by then. Thanks guys, you rock!

(Making an irish red, btw 6# gold LME, 12 Oz Caramel 40 L, 2 oz special B, 2oz roasted barley, 2 oz. hops, forgot what kind I ordered, heh, munton's premium yeast)

Last edited by AndrwHock; 03-10-2008 at 08:54 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2008, 08:55 PM   #2
TheOceaneer
Recipes 

How big is your primary? Are you brewing a big beer that is likely to ferment vigorously?

You could always play it safe and brew something like a Hefeweizen.

Edit: Whoops didn't catch the edit. That recipe looks like it could be a toss-up. I probably would not go without a blowoff hose, but I seem to have a gift for over-active yeast.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:58 PM   #3
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts

no way, BLOWOFF!!!!!! you need some insurance! : )

What's tappening? :D

Old 03-10-2008, 09:09 PM   #4
AndrwHock
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a 7 gallon bucket that I ferment in. There SHOULD be plenty of room on top so I probably won't need a blowoff tube, but I think I'm going to try to get one anyway. Insurance is always a good thing. If I don't though, I'm going to take some extra precautions, like lining the room with plastic or something and perhaps covering the bucket with something.

Quick Reply