Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Spout leak on primary fermenter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2011, 02:21 AM   #1
series70
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Spout leak on primary fermenter

Hey everybody, before I ask this question, this is my first batch. I am now aware that it is best to do primary fermentation in a container that doesn't have a spout at the bottom. I am also aware of my options for primary fermenters, so I don't need advice on what to do for my next batch. I just need some advice on what to do at this moment, and if my batch is in trouble or not.

In my kit, the primary fermenter doubles as a bottling bucket, since the lid has a pre-drilled hole with a rubber fitting for the airlock. I followed the directions and everything has been fermenting fine for the past 4 days. I get home from work today and notice that there is a leak where the spout meets the bucket. Now it's not Niagara falls by any means. It is more like a very slow ooze.

I planned in the event of an overflow, so I had a plastic trash bag underneath it to catch anything. The total amount of liquid to leave the fermenter is quite small, and in the area of .5 - 1oz. But a leak is still a leak.

My concern is that if something can leave the primary, contaminants can get in. The kit I have directs me to transfer into a secondary once fermentation has finished (I know many of you disagree, and that's fine, but that won't help me at this point). I haven't taken a hydrometer reading, but I'm pretty sure fermentation isn't done after 4 days, so I wasn't planning on transferring to the secondary yet.

If the leak is that slow, should I just let it be? or is there something I can do now to stop the leak that won't contaminate the beer at the same time. I know I can't use almost any sealant because they contain way too many harmful chemicals. It's small enough, I could honestly just make one pass with super glue and that would do it too, but again, super glue = chemicals. Do you guys have any ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2011, 02:37 AM   #2
krazydave
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If it's that small, I wouldn't worry about chemicals... Superglue? Sure, if you have it.
They use superglue to glue up incisions in the OR these days. I don't think they'd be doing that if it was highly toxic. And since beer is coming out, I wouldn't worry about stuff getting in either.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:46 AM   #3
aggiejay06
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Medical superglue and hardware store superglue aren't identical, but they are quite similar. It's definitely not something you would want to ingest, as it is an irritant to mucosal surfaces. That being said, it's a small amount on the outside of the fermenter, and I doubt any significant amount would get into the beer.

Worst comes to worst you could still rack into the secondary even though fermentation isn't completed and just pitch in some extra yeast, right?

Old 03-05-2011, 02:53 AM   #4
krazydave
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiejay06 View Post
Medical superglue and hardware store superglue aren't identical, but they are quite similar. It's definitely not something you would want to ingest, as it is an irritant to mucosal surfaces. That being said, it's a small amount on the outside of the fermenter, and I doubt any significant amount would get into the beer.

Worst comes to worst you could still rack into the secondary even though fermentation isn't completed and just pitch in some extra yeast, right?
I'd have to disagree with you there... They're both cyanoacrylate, so as long as it's straight superglue with no special additives (is there even such a thing?),they're the same exact thing...

Now, I still wouldn't eat it obviously, that being said! lol

Old 03-05-2011, 02:54 AM   #5
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazydave View Post
I'd have to disagree with you there... They're both cyanoacrylate, so as long as it's straight superglue with no special additives (is there even such a thing?),they're the same exact thing...

Now, I still wouldn't eat it obviously, that being said! lol
So if I superglue my landlord's eyes shut, he won't die?? Well, from the glue at least...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 03-05-2011, 02:59 AM   #6
aggiejay06
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cyanoacrylate vs. 2-octyl cyanoacrylate...quite similar, not identical. I doubt think the difference is relevant here, though.

At an old job I used to use a quick drying type of superglue...in a way maybe that would be good, but who knows what chemical they added to that to get it to dry quicker.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:00 AM   #7
SilentAutumn
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Try tightening the spout. I'm assuming it's a screw on - spout on the outside with a nut on the inside.

[Edit] Just twist the outside part. Don't put your hand in the bucket.

Last edited by SilentAutumn; 03-05-2011 at 03:01 AM. Reason: clarity

Old 03-05-2011, 03:01 AM   #8
aggiejay06
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wouldn't recommend that with beer inside! lol

Old 03-05-2011, 03:02 AM   #9
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I have noticed that if you just turn the outside part of the spout, without holding the inside (as long as it's mostly tight) it will tighten up more... Just make sure you turn it in the correct direction.

In the future I wouldn't use the bottling bucket to ferment a batch of beer in. Not sure what kit you got that told you to do it that way, but I wouldn't follow those directions in the future.

For the record, none of the kits I ever used said to ferment in the bottling bucket...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 03-05-2011, 03:09 AM   #10
krazydave
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiejay06 View Post
Cyanoacrylate vs. 2-octyl cyanoacrylate...quite similar, not identical. I doubt think the difference is relevant here, though.

At an old job I used to use a quick drying type of superglue...in a way maybe that would be good, but who knows what chemical they added to that to get it to dry quicker.
Yarp, you be correct! My bad.
http://www.realfirstaid.co.uk/superglue/

Interesting to know, however it wouldn't stop me from using it in a pinch to close a gaping wound because the FDA hasn't approved it.

Quick Reply