Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Splitting batches

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
abefromann
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Splitting batches

So I have been doing all grain for a handful of brews now, and would like to start doing 10 gallon batches. My mash ton has plenty of room for this, but my kettle does not.

Would I run into any serious problems mashing for 10 gallon batches, but doing 2 boils consecutively, with the remaining half of the wort in a bucket to be boiled?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I wouldn't think so except that you could very easily come out with two totally different beers....if you collect the first runnings in the boil kettle then the sparge runnings in the bucket for the second boil there will be a significant difference in the gravity of the 2 batches... You need some way to mix it all then split it back up for the boil.

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 10-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
abefromann
Recipes 

Yeah I was thinking I'm just mixing to make one beer, or just making two different beers with one mash. The only real issue I was concerned about was oxidation.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #4
dcarter
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 10

As long as you put them both in the same fermenter, you should be OK but as OhioSteve mentioned, there will be a dramatic difference in gravity from the first runnings to the last.

My trash heap fridge rescue and conversion to a first class fermentation chamber

If you don't like your job, you don't strike!.....You just go in everyday and do it really half a$$ed, THATS the American way! - Homer J Simpson

Old 10-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
abefromann
Recipes 

So having pre-boil wort Sitting around won't cause problems with oxidation or aeration.?

Old 10-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #6
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by abefromann View Post
So having pre-boil wort Sitting around won't cause problems with oxidation or aeration.?
I would think good sanitation and a good boil wouild solve it all anyway...lots of people doing no chill brewing and leaving wort setting overnight to cool AFTER the boil even.. again your sanitation needs to be spot on.
BALDGUT BREWS

Quick Reply