Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Splitting a batch. Question on secondary fermenter size.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
HossTheGreat
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Splitting a batch. Question on secondary fermenter size.

So I'm planning on splitting my 5 gallon batch in half. I'm planning on adding fruit to one half and leaving the second half as is. Currently the smallest fermenter I have is 5 gallons. Is it ok to rack the 2.5 gallons into a 5 gallon fermenter? I know there will be a lot of headspace, but I guess I don't have too much of a choice. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you keg, you can try filling the carboy with CO2 before racking your beer into it. That way you have no oxygen and nothing to worry about. If you don't keg, then I'm not sure what you could do.

I personally wouldn't like that much headspace, but if you're careful and sanitary, I can't see it being a huge issue unless you're aging it for months.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 08-29-2009, 04:44 PM   #3
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Yes it is fine to do that. When you rack you will knock the CO2 out of suspension and it will reblanket your beer just fine.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
HossTheGreat
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I do keg. I racked everything to secondary and then blasted the carboy with some C02. So hopefully this will work. I was very careful not to shake the carboys around while moving either, so I'm sure it'll be fine. Thanks for the input!

Quick Reply