Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Splitting 5 gallons into 2 secondary fermentations?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 03:48 AM   #1
Andini
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Splitting 5 gallons into 2 secondary fermentations?

Hey all. I started making a stout a couple days ago, and it's in the fermenter now (5 gallons). My plan all along was to try adding coffee to secondary fermentation, but I'm wondering if I can get away splitting the batch into two secondary fermenters and adding the coffee to just one of them. That way, I can see exactly how the coffee affects the beer (and if I totally over/undershoot the amount of coffee I should add, I'm not stuck with 5 gallons of it).

My issue is that I only have 5-6 gallon carboys. Is it a problem to move only 2.5 gallons of beer to a 5 gallon fermenter for secondary? I can't think of a problem off-hand, but I also don't know very much yet about how this all works.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 03:52 AM   #2
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andini View Post
My issue is that I only have 5-6 gallon carboys. Is it a problem to move only 2.5 gallons of beer to a 5 gallon fermenter for secondary? I can't think of a problem off-hand, but I also don't know very much yet about how this all works.

Thanks!
How about too much headspace?

At that stage of the fermentation, it's not kicking out much CO2. The empty space in the carboys is going to be mostly air for a while. I'd be concerned about oxygenation.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:54 AM   #3
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Look around and see if you can pick up a couple of Mr. Beer 'little brown keg" (LBK) fermenters. They'd be just the right size for what you want to do. 3 gallon Better Bottles would work too.

Quick Reply