The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Split my batch in the primary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2008, 01:48 PM   #1
snowbum007
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Split my batch in the primary?

Hi everyone. I finished brewing the NB bourbon barrel porter extract last Saturday (4th brew, 1st steeping grains). The OG came out a little low but I think I now what happed there and am not worried about that. I am thinking about splitting my batch when it finishes in the primary. Half would go to bottles immediately and the other half would go to the secondary and finish out with the oak and bourbon (amounts cut in half). I am thinking having both would give me a good idea of what the base beer tastes like and how the oak and bourbon add to the taste. Any reason I should not do it? I have one more extract that I have the ingredients for and then I will probably start trying the partial-mash since I already have the equipment to at least do that (not enough to do AG).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2008, 01:53 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbum007 View Post
Hi everyone. I finished brewing the NB bourbon barrel porter extract last Saturday (4th brew, 1st steeping grains). The OG came out a little low but I think I now what happed there and am not worried about that. I am thinking about splitting my batch when it finishes in the primary. Half would go to bottles immediately and the other half would go to the secondary and finish out with the oak and bourbon (amounts cut in half). I am thinking having both would give me a good idea of what the base beer tastes like and how the oak and bourbon add to the taste. Any reason I should not do it? I have one more extract that I have the ingredients for and then I will probably start trying the partial-mash since I already have the equipment to at least do that (not enough to do AG).
As a matter of fact I am doing something similar with my latest version of my Brown Ale Recipe, to which I added a pound of smoked malt.

I plan on racking half into a 3 gallon carboy over some Jack Daniels Oak SMoking Chips which have been soaking in about 3/4 of a cup more of Jack, to sanitize them...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply