Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > split batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
techrunner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default split batch

ok, i am about to bottle batch #2, an oatmeal stout kit from midwest. I am thinking that the standard 5 oz of priming sugar might be a bit more than i want, so i will probably only add about 3/4 of that. Now i am wondering about adding say coffee or vanilla or something to half or so of the batch. just kinda want to experiment a bit. any suggestions? what to add and how much for half a batch? thanks

nick

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
snevey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I usually do this in the bottling bucket if it's a "chemical" flavoring. I.E. I recently brewed a BB Weizenbier kit and I bottled half the bottling bucket as straight Weizenbier and then I added the Blueberry beer flavoring "chemical" to the remainder in the bottling bucket. I don't know how you would do this with coffee unless you used ground fresh coffee in a muslin/grain bag. The Vanilla would be easy. The nice thing about doing it this way is you can add the flavoring, sample, add more if needed, sample, etc. until you get it right.

Some people don't like using the beer flavoring "chemicals" but that is another discussion!

Old 01-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Coffee goes well in stouts. So does cherry or rasberry. Any tart fruit flavor. Do not add anything that has sugar.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
techrunner
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

couldn't you just add some brewed coffee in the bottling bucket? anything else that would go good with the oatmeal stout besides coffee or vanilla? maybe i'll split it three ways. or maybe 1/4 regular, then 1/4 with vanilla, then 1/4 with the vanilla plus coffee, then 1/4 with vanilla and coffee plus a little bourbon.

Quick Reply