Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Splashing from mash tun into boil kettle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2010, 02:33 AM   #1
earwig
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default Splashing from mash tun into boil kettle

For about 1/2 of the wort transfer from the mash tun to the boil kettle it was splashing pretty badly. Is this going to screw up the beer? I now have it running down the side of the brew pot. Is that an OK method? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2010, 02:38 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I tend to think that hot side aeration is a myth. Some people think that if you splash while the wort is hot, then you'll get off flavors. I've splashed plenty in the past, and never noticed anything bad from doing so. I try to keep it down though, just in case.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 12-28-2010, 02:41 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2751 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

HSA/splashing issues are another myth for the homebrewer, that new brewer's tend to worry about (like airlock bubbling = fermentation),that don't really hold much weight in truth, you really don't need to worry about it.

Here's a detailed post explaining why it's not an issue, including a video of a commercial brewery doing the exact same thing... http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/stir...6/#post2358507

There's also a really good discussion of it in the article on Australian No Chill brewing in the March/April 2009 issue of BYO magazine where there is an excellent citation proving that boil and fermentation further eliminates the risk of hot side aeration. I'm waiting form them to post the article so I don't have to retype the citation. But as soon as I can it will go with the other information I have posted.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-28-2010, 02:41 AM   #4
JBrady
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I also have never exp. any negative effects from splashing. I did buy a piece of that super high temp hose that the brew shops sell to eliminate the splashing just in case. It can't hurt and only cost a few bucks.

Bottled: Janet's Brown, Session Dry Stout, Yellow Fly Cream Ale

Gallons Brewed In 2011-40

Old 12-29-2010, 02:25 AM   #5
earwig

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
HSA/splashing issues are another myth for the homebrewer, that new brewer's tend to worry about (like airlock bubbling = fermentation),that don't really hold much weight in truth, you really don't need to worry about it.
Thanks for the help and reply. I really do appreciate what you offer here... although I still disagree about the airlock

Old 12-29-2010, 04:55 AM   #6
JRDroid
Recipes 

Cold liquids can hold more dissolved gases (oxygen) than hot. Even if you did manage to get some more O2 dissolved in your hot wort splashing it around, the boil process would cause all of it to come out of solution anyway. I may be new to brewing but that is just chemistry, which I do have experience with.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:00 PM   #7
BrookdaleBrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrady View Post
I also have never exp. any negative effects from splashing. I did buy a piece of that super high temp hose that the brew shops sell to eliminate the splashing just in case. It can't hurt and only cost a few bucks.
This is my thought exactly. It may or may not be an issue, but silicone tubing is cheap, so why take the risk?

Old 12-29-2010, 12:22 PM   #8
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

I know Brew Strong did a great interview with Charles Bamforth about oxidation. He said while you aren't going to see any effects (esp in homebrew) from splashing wort etc, its always good to follow best practices like avoiding splashing when possible, not whipping air into the mash and so forth. Its much more important to keep splashing and aeration to a minimum after fermentation has begun and has finished though.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:48 PM   #9
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 316 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookdaleBrew View Post
This is my thought exactly. It may or may not be an issue, but silicone tubing is cheap, so why take the risk?
I think the point is here there isn't any risk to start with....

Old 12-29-2010, 01:21 PM   #10
BrookdaleBrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
I think the point is here there isn't any risk to start with....
I would tend to agree with Charles Bamforth, one of the leading brewing scientist in the world, as opposed to the people on this forum, but that's just me.

I just don't understand why someone would take the risk when the solution to the problem is so simple and cheap.

Quick Reply