Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Spilt my yeast!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2008, 02:33 AM   #1
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default Spilt my yeast!

So I was making the wort for my starter this evening and I grabbed the yeast packet and cut it open to get the nutrient packet out of it. I added a bit of the nutrient to the wort like the manufacturers website says and when I turned around the packet had spilt a little bit. I grabbed a spatula and scraped it into a sterile measuring cup. Can I still use this for my starter or am a FUBAR? Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2008, 02:38 AM   #2
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Did it spill on the counter or floor?
Is there gerbil hair in it?

Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Old 09-28-2008, 02:40 AM   #3
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer

Recipes 

On the counter, no hair or foreign objects from what I could tell. I made sure to filter it before pitching it in the wort. Its on my stirplate running as we speak.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:44 AM   #4
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm sure it'll be fine.

Somewhere here on HBT is a thread about a guy dropping his yeast on the basement/garage floor and picking it about as clean as he could.

Or maybe that was the albino on youtube, I don't know. I think I need another bomber of Scotch Ale.

Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Old 09-28-2008, 02:58 AM   #5
tedski
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Especially since you're doing a starter, a few hundred thousand yeast cells lost wouldn't be such a big deal. I'd have left out the little bit that spilled. The yeast are going to more than make up for it in the starter.

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker and glory to his bounty by learning about... BEER." - Friar Tuck

Old 09-28-2008, 03:03 AM   #6
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer

Recipes 

Yeah I probably should have left them on the counter but the recipe is high OG and calls for alot of yeast. Without a starter the Mr. Malty yeast calculator said I'd need 2.5 packages of the yeast. I am already gonna be short since my starter will probably only yield 1000ml of wort and yeast. With the starter I needed something like 1.25 ltrs of yeast for a 5 gallon brew. I dunno I really hope there is no foreign bacteria in there that messes up my brew. I'm not gonna be a happy camper if there is.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:24 AM   #7
tedski
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweaty View Post
Yeah I probably should have left them on the counter but the recipe is high OG and calls for alot of yeast. Without a starter the Mr. Malty yeast calculator said I'd need 2.5 packages of the yeast. I am already gonna be short since my starter will probably only yield 1000ml of wort and yeast. With the starter I needed something like 1.25 ltrs of yeast for a 5 gallon brew. I dunno I really hope there is no foreign bacteria in there that messes up my brew. I'm not gonna be a happy camper if there is.
Then step up your starter once it gets going and make the 1.25 litres of starter. IIRC, Mr. Malty outlines that procedure too.
"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker and glory to his bounty by learning about... BEER." - Friar Tuck

Old 09-28-2008, 03:30 AM   #8
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedski View Post
Then step up your starter once it gets going and make the 1.25 litres of starter. IIRC, Mr. Malty outlines that procedure too.
I only have a 1000ml flask or otherwise I would have.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:33 AM   #9
tedski
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ahh, I see. Remember you can step it up with any glass container that has a flat bottom. i.e. 1/2 gal jugs.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:38 AM   #10
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer

Recipes 

Well I let her go over night and see how much foam there is on the top in the morning. I started it at around 750ml of wort and the yeast bumped it up to about 850ml. Depending on how much it foams I might have room to step it up in the 1000ml flask since I only really need about 250ml more. This is the first time I've brewed and I'm a total n00b so its all a learning process. I have the air going right now to keep the room temp @ 70 degrees and the fan above the stirplate should suck cold air to that part of the room. The temperature thing is going to be tricky since I'm in Michigan and one day its 80 and the next its 60. The OG was around 1.40 like previous posters had suggest so that was good. How long will it take until I'll see this foaming?

Quick Reply