Spilled yeast starter...Please help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

covered95

Reaction score
So i brewed a chocolate stout today. Boiled over and lost some of the wort :mad: Than I was getting ready to pitch my wyeast irish ale starter when it slipped out of my hand and about half of it spilled onto the concrete floor. I went ahead and pitched what was left in the package. Am I ok? Do i need to get another package? Willi t just take longer to get going? I already feel like this batch is going to be off thanks to the boilover, but I want to make sure my fermentation is going to be OK. It is a five gallon partial mash with a OG of 1.063. Thanks.

You should be fine. A longer fermentation time with less yeast...especially with a heavier beer like that.

As long as the yeast you pitched was clean...I don't see any problems.

Give it 72 hours and if absolutely no activity...you may conisder pitching a dry Safale-05.

But again...I thin it will be fine.

as long as the yeast is what gets going and makes the beer you should be fine, make it as comfortable as possible!

Back