Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Spigot?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
Cinci-Brewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Spigot?

Could anyone advise me with picture's or a manual of the correct way to install a spigot (where the rubber rings go, etc.) into my fermentor?.

I'm thinking of doing my first, 5 gallon brew tonight.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
SNPorter
Recipes 

You take the spigot remove the nut and 1 gasket leaving 1 gasket on the spigot. Stick it in the bucket and then put the second gasket on. You should have one gasket on each side of the bucket then screw the nut on inside the bucket. Btw I just finished brewing my first batch. Good luck

Old 04-02-2010, 10:59 PM   #3
brewingkitty
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

check the hole in bucket for burrs.. and don't over tighten or it MIGHT leak.

"Damn ye, yellow-bellied sapsuckers; I'm a better man than all of ye milksops put together" - Blackbeard

"...I have really good sex moves; that I learned in China. I'm a sexual tiger; and feed on va-gine-a." - Jon Lajoie

Old 04-03-2010, 04:10 AM   #4
Cinci-Brewing
Recipes 

Thanks. Well i might have to put my brewing on hold due to the air conditioning breaking, temps in the house are getting up to 77 in the house. I dont know if that will ruin my first brew, a Coopers Irish Stout.

I want to get this out of the way because my next brew will be a German wheat beer from a recipe i wrote.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:27 PM   #5
Cinci-Brewing
Recipes 

Just looked at my spigot from High Gravity Brewing, it only has 1 o ring. Should there be another o ring or do some only come with one?.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:28 AM   #6
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Do you only have a single bucket? Most kits I have seen come with two buckets. Typically, the fermentor does not have a spigot, the spigot is used in the bottling bucket. The nooks and crannies make the spigot a bit more difficult to sanitize that a bucket without one.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:49 AM   #7
whatisitgoodfor
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If there's only one o-ring, put it on the outside so you can visually inspect it to make sure it isn't over tightened. (If you over tighten, the gasket will look squished out unevenly. It should be flush with the ridge on the spigot or very slightly bulging evenly around.)

You'll want to check the seal before you fill it with beer, and never store the bucket with the spigot tightened. Over time the shank will stress from the pressure you're putting on it and crack. (And it really sucks to find out after you've transferred 5 gallons of beer into the bucket that your spigot is pouring out your beer.)

Old 04-05-2010, 02:55 AM   #8
Cinci-Brewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisitgoodfor View Post
If there's only one o-ring, put it on the outside so you can visually inspect it to make sure it isn't over tightened. (If you over tighten, the gasket will look squished out unevenly. It should be flush with the ridge on the spigot or very slightly bulging evenly around.)

You'll want to check the seal before you fill it with beer, and never store the bucket with the spigot tightened. Over time the shank will stress from the pressure you're putting on it and crack. (And it really sucks to find out after you've transferred 5 gallons of beer into the bucket that your spigot is pouring out your beer.)
So i should remove the spigot after each brew, i was planning on doing this as part of my sanitation process, i would soak the spigot with gasket in one step no rinse prior to putting it back on the bucket and test it for leaks with some hot water prior to sanitation of the bucket.

Do you recommend me getting a 2nd gasket for the inside or just leave it like it is?.

Ohio-Ed, i just bought this bucket, not a kit. I wanted a setup similar too my Mr. Beer kit which I'm upgrading from, to do basic extract and nothing more. Carbonate in bottle's. Once I'm out of the firefighter academy and have the money, I'm going to upgrade to glass corboys, kegging, etc.

This setup is just get me started in a cheap way.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:04 AM   #9
arover
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You should definitely take apart and sanitize that spigot/inspect for any leaks that may start to arise over time after each batch.

You're going to want a second bucket for bottling imo, or else you're going to get a lot of trub in those bottles when bottling time comes.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:01 AM   #10
whatisitgoodfor
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

One gasket is fine. Not having the internal gasket just means that you're going to end up with a little bit of beer trapped under the plastic nut (just a few drops), which can cause some sanitation problems if you aren't taking the spigot apart and cleaning it between batches. Fortunately you'll be doing so.

And I heartily recommend getting a second bucket (or a 6 gallon better bottle) for your primary fermentation. A food grade plastic bucket will cost you 10-15 from a LHBS, or free if you talk to a local bakery (they get icing in those buckets and usually just throw them away afterwards.) A Better Bottle will cost you around 25 and you get two benefits. 1: You can watch the fermentation as it goes which is really fun. 2: You get to post a thread entitled "Holy Crap I had my first blow off and it painted my ceiling."

Quick Reply