Spicy beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keefer

Reaction score
I dunno if this a dumb question or not, but is there such a thing as spicy beer? Not like spices spicy, but hot pepper spicy.

I was thinking about the Sam Adams longshot competition, and they wanted something creative, and I've never really heard about "hot" beer. How would you go about creating this? Would it be disgusting?

Just interested.

Yeah, I googled Habanero beer and got some similar results. But how would one go about "cloning" said beer? Add the peppers to the secondary?

Yea Six Rivers Brewery makes a pepper beer. I think they used jalapeno or serano chilies. They added slices of peppers in the boil and then dry hopped with peppers for a week in secondary. I haven't tried it yet but I'm sure its good. I actually talked to the owners and brewing supervisor of the brewery for about 20 min. Great people.

Chile beer is fairly common, especially in the SW. In New Mexico lots of breweries make a chile beer around the annual Hatch Chile harvest at the end of summer. Steve Eske of Eske's Brewpub in Taos is often credited with the style but many others, like Santa Fe Brewing, make one. Hell, even a local brewpub in Boerne, TX made one!!!

Eske's is the first place I ever tried one and thought it was pretty good (though I'm not sure I could get through 5 gallons of it :drunk:) so I asked about the recipe. They use a fairly simple pale ale recipe and roast the peppers then add them to the beer much like dry hopping in the secondary--the amount of peppers and the amount of time you leave them is really up to the brewer and just how hot you want it.

You can search these threads and find plenty of recipes. Most people do a pale or a brown ale as the base. You want a little chile aroma and flavor with a slow building and somewhat subtle burn. Too hot just gets ridiculous and too mild and it just tastes weak and peppery.

Good luck with your experimentation :tank:

Only chili beer I have had and enjoyed was from the wynkoop brewery in Denver. Try it if you are out that way.

In all seriousness... peppers have hop-like qualities, in the sense that the heat comes from the oil... the longer the boil, the higher the heat. Additionally, some peppers have higher Scoville Units like some hops have higher Alpha Acids. Jalepenos have good pepper flavor and good heat, a habenero has a lot of heat and less flavor.

I would brew a 5 gallon batch, taking the preboil wort and dividing it up into mini-boils doing a few different "pepper additions" to see what works with your vision.

I made one of these. I halved and seared a habanero and two jalapenos then put them in secondary of a 5 gal batch. It goes great with a meal.

For a unique approach to the peppers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Padrón

Padron peppers, when grown past their "natural" harvest size, get stupid hot. Not pleasant at all. But in a beer..? Just could be crazy enough to work. And I know you can get the seeds here in the US. My SWMBO grows them and we always have to keep tabs on the things to make sure they don't start turning brown and deadly.

Back