Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Spice "utilization" in boil and fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2008, 07:21 AM   #1
okstatepike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Spice "utilization" in boil and fermentation?

I am brewing a pumpkin ale tomorrow, and I have a question I have not been able to find an answer for. No, I this isn't a generic pumpkin ale question (or at least I hope not)

I am planning on adding the canned pumpkin to the boil, and strain out the pumpkin, hops, break material, etc. before I go into the fermenter. Here is my question: if I do not strain but dump it all in and let it sit for a couple of weeks before racking, what would the impact to the flavor be? Would the flavor and oils from the spices show a more prominent role, or are they fully extracted in the last few minutes of the boil (recipe says to boil for last 5 min)?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

Kegged: None
Drinking: Everything

Last edited by okstatepike; 09-20-2008 at 07:29 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2008, 02:29 PM   #2
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't think anyone is going to give a definitive answer because you would have to do a side by side comparison to know for sure, but my stab is that the straining will remove unsoluable stuff so it won't make any difference. The key is to boil spices no longer than 5 minutes otherwise as Pierre Celis says, "it's just for the neighbors".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply