Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Spent Grain? Make Your Best Friend Cookies!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2012, 01:57 AM   #441
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 721 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 277

our puppy, a Nova Scotia Duck-Tolling Retriever, LOVES these treats. we do a lot of training with her so she gets a lot of treats, and these are among her favs. they're also great because she has to chew them. she tends to inhale a lot of other treats without biting them once. not these guys. thanks for the recipe!

Drinking: galaxy/conan IPA, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 04:14 AM   #442
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 15

been brewing for years. my dogs would bite my ankles if they knew i'd been throwing all the grain out all this time. made the treats finally from the last brew i did from grain for a pale ale. these biscuits are their favorite treats. next beer is a dark, so i'm sure they'll love those treats even more

Taps:
1: Pilsen Ale (Pilsner made with US05)
2: Roasted ESB (mistake by the LHBS in recipe)
3: Hefeweizen
4: Hoegarden Saison
5: English Mild

Old 05-30-2012, 04:55 AM   #443
CTS
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Did anyone figure out if rice hulls are OK to have in them?

Old 06-18-2012, 03:25 AM   #444
weeple2000
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

should the spent grain going in be dry, or wet? I dried out about 10-12 cups of spent grain for cooking. My first attempt was these dog treats. I used 3 eggs and normal peanut butter instead of all natural. After the initial baking period, the grain didn't solidify into treats. It is more of a granola like it was before it was baked. Is this salvageable?

Old 06-18-2012, 03:28 AM   #445
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeple2000 View Post
should the spent grain going in be dry, or wet? I dried out about 10-12 cups of spent grain for cooking. My first attempt was these dog treats. I used 3 eggs and normal peanut butter instead of all natural. After the initial baking period, the grain didn't solidify into treats. It is more of a granola like it was before it was baked. Is this salvageable?
I use it wet/moist... Never had an issue with it binding together either with a single egg and such. Did you use any flour in the treats?

Try another batch exactly to recipe (all natural PB isn't important). Also use the grains without drying them out.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 06-18-2012, 03:54 AM   #446
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
I use it wet/moist... Never had an issue with it binding together either with a single egg and such. Did you use any flour in the treats?

Try another batch exactly to recipe (all natural PB isn't important). Also use the grains without drying them out.
This is not rocket science. I use cheap ass peanut butter. I've used wet grain. I've used dry grain. I've packet it hard into the measuring cup. I've loosely scooped it.

They always come out fineand the dogs don't seem to care how I made them.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:02 AM   #447
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
This is not rocket science. I use cheap ass peanut butter. I've used wet grain. I've used dry grain. I've packet it hard into the measuring cup. I've loosely scooped it.

They always come out fineand the dogs don't seem to care how I made them.

It's not rocket science, or brain surgery (or plastic surgery in your case... yeesh!!)... Like with most baking type recipes (IME) it's more of using what it takes to get the end result. Some will use more flour than others, or more grain. Or the grain will be wetter than others, etc. You can tweak it as you like, just try to get the same end result.

For the OP, drying out the spent grain was probably the most critical error.

BTW, using a stand mixer for this makes it stupid easy.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 06-18-2012, 07:02 AM   #448
weeple2000
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well I think I salvaged it. I took the granola mixture and put it in a bowl and added some water, put it back on the sheet and scored it. I am thinking that you either need to use wet spent grain or else add water. Dried grain, 3 eggs, peanut butter, and flour didn't create enough of a paste to bond the treats together. After baking it for 30 minutes at 350 with some water introduced, it bonded better. It was a little crumbly breaking up the scored pieces after it was done baking, but it seems like this was normal.

For future reference, do spent grain recipes usually call for wet grain, or dried grain? It looks like some people freeze the wet grain while others dry it by baking it overnight at a low temperature, which is what I did.

This really *isn't* rocket science, but between last night's first attempt at brewing all grain and today's attempt at dog treats it seems like the process always has plenty of room for error and improvement.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:24 AM   #449
HollisBT
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeple2000
Well I think I salvaged it. I took the granola mixture and put it in a bowl and added some water, put it back on the sheet and scored it. I am thinking that you either need to use wet spent grain or else add water. Dried grain, 3 eggs, peanut butter, and flour didn't create enough of a paste to bond the treats together. After baking it for 30 minutes at 350 with some water introduced, it bonded better. It was a little crumbly breaking up the scored pieces after it was done baking, but it seems like this was normal.

For future reference, do spent grain recipes usually call for wet grain, or dried grain? It looks like some people freeze the wet grain while others dry it by baking it overnight at a low temperature, which is what I did.

This really *isn't* rocket science, but between last night's first attempt at brewing all grain and today's attempt at dog treats it seems like the process always has plenty of room for error and improvement.
I haven't tried making these dog biscuits, but since the op's recipe doesn't call for any added liquids, I would assume to use wet grains...

Brewing beer and baking are VERY closely related, they use nearly the same ingredients and (to some extent) the same processes.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:11 AM   #450
kellzey
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Success!

My dogs love them!

In the fermenter: Pugkin Ale, Apfelwein
In the keezer: Black Pug Coconut Porter, Black Pug Wheat, Black Pug IPA
Gone: Black Pug Blonde Ale